Barilla PLUS

Becky_M
on 9/26/07 3:53 am - Northwest, GA

I was reading the label on this stuff yesterday and comparing it to regular pasta. It has more calories and more fat content. Does that justify or offset the whole grain angle? Is it a "good" carb to add to our diet? DH loves pasta, but I’ve all but eliminated it from the rotation. I need to add it some way or in some form for him, but want to do it in a healthier way.

Becky

MelaniaB_RD
on 9/26/07 5:28 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Becky, Barilla Plus is a newer type of pasta that contains more protein, fiber and Omega-3 fatty acids.  Although it has more fat, these fats are "good fats". Also remember that when looking on a food label, you must compare the serving size and whether it is a dry or cooked measure, which can be confusing.  The typical serving of pasta (about 60 grams of dry pasta indicated on the food lalbel) contains ~ 1 cup of cooked pasta & ~30 grams of carbohydrate.  This pasta would be considered a "good carb" with each serving containing 1 cup of pasta (cooked), 4 gms fiber and 360 mg of Omega-3 fatty acids (are usually found in fatty fish such as salmon, tuna & mackerel).  However, if you are reintroducing pasta back into your diet, start with a small portion, say 1/4 cup and see how you tolerate this. Or you could simply use a whole wheat pasta and add a fatty fish for more protein, more Omega 3 fatty acids at a lower price.  Just a thought!
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Becky_M
on 9/26/07 5:49 am - Northwest, GA

It's actually not the protein part of it that I'm thinking about; rather it's wondering if the whole grain side of it is a healthier alternative.  With that criteria, does going with the Plus make that much of a difference? Side note, I tried a few of the whole wheat pastas and can we say "YUCK!"  I eat whole grain products everyday and really enjoy the taste, but "YUCK!" to the pastas I've tried.   Thanks for all you guys do.... I've really enjoyed this forum. Becky

MelaniaB_RD
on 9/26/07 2:08 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Becky, If you are eating other whole grain or whole wheat products such as bread, crackers or brown rice, I probably wouldn't worry too much about this pasta.  You will likely eat such a small amount of it that it really would not be worth the expense.  Glad that you enjoy this forum!
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Most Active