Exercise

lippygrl10
on 9/25/07 3:20 am - Mukilteo, WA
So, does anyone recommend any exercise to help get rid of upper arm hanging fat and inner thigh fat?  I have lost 58lbs since June 20th and am noticing that these two areas are going to be a problem for me if I don't really focus on them... What has worked for you?
MelaniaB_RD
on 9/25/07 1:55 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Congratulations on your weight loss! This is likely not fat but loose skin that results from the space that used to be filled with fat prior to your weight loss. This is a very common occurrence with the rapid weight loss that occurs with WLS.  Although physical activity such as walking, stationary cycling or swimming and resistance training will help tone up the muscles underneath your skin, many people find that they need to have plastic surgery once they are at their goal weight to remove the excess skin.  Unfortunately, the excess skin that results will not disappear with any amount of exercise. However, I would try to incorporate walking if OK with your doctor on most days of the week and shoot for at least 10,000 steps per day (using a pedometer). Good luck!
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
lippygrl10
on 9/26/07 1:34 am - Mukilteo, WA
While I appreciate that you replied I don't think that walking is going to help lessen my arm jigglers.  I asked for specific exercises that have worked for other people in reducing this and the inner thigh areas.  You don't appear to have had the surgery and personally faced this issue.  I do walk and exercise but wanted to know what has worked for others in these specific areas.
MelaniaB_RD
on 9/26/07 4:40 am - Costa Mesa, CA

No I have not personally had WLS but I am qualified to address this issue because in addition to being a Registered Dietitian with 24 years of experience in weight management, I have a Master's degree in Exercise Physiology AND have seen hundreds of patients with this exact issue. As I stated, it is unlikely than ANY exercise will get rid of the loose skin on your arms. Walking is usually recommended as an adjunct to WLS to help with weight loss, increase the BMR and improve one's cardiorespiratory status, NOT as a way to reduce the amount of loose skin.  Good luck!

Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
lippygrl10
on 9/26/07 4:59 am - Mukilteo, WA
Is walking the only exercise you recommend?  Not all WLS patients have excessive hanging skin because they not only walk but work out in the gym to facilitate their weight loss and toning...  I know that there must be exercises you can do for your arms and thighs to minimize the excessive skin issue.  I never said that I have hanging skin...it is fat and skin and I want to avoid having as much excess skin as possible thus the question of exercises that focus on these areas that patients have had good results with. I am not asking for a miracle but know that I can reduce the risk of excessive hanging skin...walking will not focus on this area but will help my overall health.  Since you have a degree in exercise Physiology I would imagine that you would know what arm excercises or thigh exercises to aid in toning....
Fran W.
on 9/26/07 2:42 am - Catonsville, MD
You might find better answers at the Excercise Forum! Hope this helps!
(deactivated member)
on 9/27/07 10:08 pm
I swim lengths 30 minutes every day.  I do free one length and breaststroke the other direction because they seem to use 2 different muscle areas.  I also use Jergans Firming and Tanning cream every day after my shower.  I am 53 years old and have lost 110 lbs slowly...most of my weight before my RNY.  I have a BMI of 28 or 29 so I am not thin.  I think those 2 things have helped a little though.  take care, Linda
DanielleH_RD
on 9/28/07 10:02 am - CA
I think that what Melania was trying to say is that "spot" training is not effective in reducing problem areas of fat.  Overall body weight reduction will make you lose fat and thereby reduce problem areas. Let me give an example.  A woman goes to the gym every day and does 500 sit ups, crunches, and leg lifts. She is able to build up terrific abdominal muscles, but still has a belly bulge - why? Because her "six-pack" abs are hidden under a layer of subcutaneous fat.  If she increased her cardio and monitored her diet carefully, losing excess body fat - her beautiful abs will be on display for everyone to admire! We all have our unique body shapes.  Our genetics play a role in where we lay down fat.  Some people get really big but still have skinny legs, or skinny arms, or small breasts.  The first place you put on fat is the last place you will take it off. If you do exercises to strengthen an area, you will build muscle - but you won't get definition unless your muscles can bulge through the subcutaneous fat and skin. Now as far as arm strengthening and leg strengthening, isolated exercises work great.  A personal trainer may be a good option to help ensure good form and coach you on reps and sets. Start slow and work your way up.  Strength training builds muscle which means you lay down more metabolically active tissue.  Weight loss (on a scale) often stalls with increased weight training, since muscle weighs more than fat.  Be patient, focus on your form to avoid injuries. Arms - bicep curls, tricep curls, side arm raises (deltoid).  An all over good ol' fashioned move - push ups (girlie or military - your choice). Legs - step back lunges, walking lunges (go slow!), straight leg dead lifts (careful of your back), barre exercises like plies' and good ol' stair climbing Good luck and I hope this clarifies where we're coming from.
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com

lippygrl10
on 9/28/07 10:08 am - Mukilteo, WA
Thank you Danielle...this is more of what I was looking for.  I walk all the time and work out 3 days a week on weight training but I wanted some ideas on what I could do to help lessen the chance of having as much hanging skin.   Thanks again.
Most Active