Diet needs for hard exercise?

Deanna34
on 9/25/07 8:25 am - Salem, OR
Hello there! I'm hoping to get some advice from one of the awesome dieticians on this board! My back ground is that I started my weight at 307 pounds and 50% body fat (I'm 5'6").  I had RNY 16 months ago and have gotten my weight down to 163 pounds and 20% body fat.  I exercise hard ... I run 10-15 miles per week, Spin class twice per week, and power weight lifting class twice per week.  My BMR is around 1800 calories but I only consume about 1400-1600 calories per day. My weight loss has stalled since May ... ideally I'd like to lose another 10 pounds but I can't get the scale to move!  I realize I need to eat more calories in order to lose weight but I just don't know how much more to eat.  I'm having a hard time figuring out where to draw the line of eating enough but not eating too much!  If that makes any sense! I prefer to eat mini-meals during the day.  And I know I need to eat enough carbs to fuel my body for all this exercise.  I just need an idea of how much to eat as far as how much protein and how much carbs, and also how many total calories. Thanks so much for any input! Deanna

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

MelaniaB_RD
on 9/25/07 1:44 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Deanna, Congratulation on your weight loss and your continued committment to exercise!  Grazing throughout the day is actually healthier than eating fewer,larger meals.   In terms of your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) this is a measure of the energy that your body requires to maintain life such as the functioning of the lungs, kidneys, brain, pumping of the heart, etc.  When you engage in physical activity we usually add an average number of calories per day to the BMR.   A VERY ROUGH ESTIMATE of the energy required per day for physical activity can be made by adding 30% or .3 to the BMR for a very sedentary person up to a value of 60-70% or .6-.7 for someone who engages in 2 hours of moderate exercise per day.  Without knowing more specifics, I would add an additional 300 Calories per day to your BMR (1800-300) as a conservative estimate (2100 Calories per day) along with your continued exercise.  Breakdown might be 45-50% Carb, 20-25% Protein and
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Most Active