Oatmeal

Marie P.
on 9/23/07 10:45 pm - Saginaw, MI
Is there a real difference between instant and regular oatmeal?  I've read postings that we shouldn't use instant oatmeal.  I like the Quacker Weight Control instant oatmeal.  At least by comparing the labels, the WC instant oatmeal has more protein, vitamin A, calcium and fiber.  Or is it just that we shouldn't be having oatmeal, in general? Marie

trafficdonna
on 9/24/07 1:53 am
I eat oatmeal with no problems.  I use regular because of the cost but have eaten instant occasionally.   I think the reason most people don't eat it is because it is lower protein and pretty high carbs.  There are better resources for our protein.  But I see no harm in having it once in a while.  I eat yougrt seven days a week and sometimes just need a break from that.
This too will pass, like a kidney stone but it will pass!
sarard
on 9/24/07 2:44 am - Costa Mesa, CA
No real difference between regular and instant - although I believe the instant may have added sugar for taste. When you make it yourself, you have control over the amount of sugar you put in .... Jus****ch the sugar content. Oatmeal sould be OK as long as you are > 3 months post op. Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
(deactivated member)
on 9/27/07 10:23 pm
I had read that when they turn old fashioned oatmeal into quick oatmeal they have to process the outside of the oat and that makes it less healthy.  I would have thought that processing from quick to instant would have furthered the distruction of the outside of the oat.  I don't know the proper terms but I've been using old fashioned oats for a couple of years because of this.  Linda
Amanda S.
on 9/24/07 2:46 am - shelley, ID
I love oatmeal! I don't eat it every day, but when I do I buy Quakers low sugar, add a splash of milk, a dash of splenda and protein powder. YUMMY!

Amanda
260/241/134/200
highest/preop/lowest/current

Becky_M
on 9/25/07 1:32 am - Northwest, GA

I use the 5 minute oatmeal just because it seems to be much denser so I eat less and it stays with me all morning. Becky

D. Carbcounter
on 9/25/07 6:05 am - Homeland, CA
RNY on 02/03/06 with
Just an FYI, some grocery stores and walmarts carry a generic brand of sugar free instant oatmeal.  I've found it in brown sugar and apple cinnamon and it hasn't made me dump (yet haha).  It tastes great to me and it's easy on my grouchy pouchy.

Surgery results may vary, see dealer for details
(WLS is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.)

bjhice
on 9/28/07 1:17 pm - New Kent, VA
My NUT recommended the Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal and I love it - having food probs and it is one of the few things I can eat. BJ
Most Active