protein absorbtion

the1ruth2000
on 9/17/07 10:29 pm - sumter, SC
Hey  I am a bit confused about protein absorbtion....my husband just told me that my body can only absorb less than 30 grams of protein.  We had a long talk and he showed me where he was basing his info on vitalady.com......

"Most people can absorb only about 30 grams at one time. Gastric bypass patients may absorb even less. The recommended "dose" is approximately 30 grams. Taking double doses won't hurt, it just costs more. We do not get the benefit of the larger dose. No one (except professional athletes) can absorb more than approximately 30 grams at one time.

The daily doses can be pre-measured dry; however, mixing the powder with liquid ahead of time can cause a loss of protein value and an accumulation of bacteria." .....and I told him that I would have to double check but I was sure that he was wrong and that my body can absorb more.  So can I please get some input here to help me be right.  I love being right it is way better than ice cream ever was.  Seriously why are we trying to get in alot of protein if our body only absorbs 30 grams? Thanks Ruth

Fran W.
on 9/17/07 11:31 pm - Catonsville, MD

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/nutrition/a,messageboard/a ction,replies/board_id,5389/cat_id,4989/topic_id,3394039/

Hi, Ruth!

This post will hopefully 'prove you correct'!  Many people have the 30 grams at a time misconception.  The nutritionists have answered it in this post.  Hope it works - this is the first time I've tried to link something.

Fran

sarard
on 9/18/07 8:11 am - Costa Mesa, CA
I'm re-posting this from a few days ago. My friend, Danielle, answered this: "I wanted to let you know - I have been actively researching this question. The answer I come up with is that this whole 25-30 g protein per serving is a myth. There is no data I can find to support this claim. In the research, I find nothing. To the contrary, I find info supporting my original idea - protein metabolism is a dynamic process and is not limited by volume as suggested. Protein synthesis in your body IS limited by the quality of protein you consume. The additional idea that only body builders need more protein - well don't you think a protein starved RNY patient has needs at least equal, if not in excess of that bodybuilder? Protein & the kidneys - the protein load only affects the kidneys if you have kidney disease. For regular folks, get your fluids and you will be fine! If someone disagrees - please take me to school! But don't come back at me unless you have reliable, peer-reviewed data! Heresay and 'someone said' doesn't cut it! My advice - get your protein in and ignore the people who think they know how much protein you can absorb! You are fine! Danielle Halewijn RD eNutritioncare.com" Ruth, who is the author of the quote you found - is it back by SCIENTIFIC research? Hope this helps - your husband is wrong, and you are right. Good job. :)
sarard
on 9/18/07 8:46 am - Costa Mesa, CA
In addition, I pulled up the vitalady website - there is no source for that quote --- keep in mind, they are trying to SELL products. I contacted Michelle at Vitalady to see where she got that information. Will let you know.
the1ruth2000
on 9/18/07 10:28 pm - sumter, SC
Thankyou....Thankyou....Thankyou....Thankyou....Thankyou....again Thankyou....  I like being right.
Most Active