Feeling sick!

Ethel777
on 9/17/07 9:56 am - UT
Everytime it is time to eat I get really nauseated! Can't even think of eating. The only thing I can tolerate and look forward to eating is egg drop soup and taco bell pinto's and cheese. What causes this?  I had laproscopic gastric bypass on August 28th, Now in the pureed stage. Thanks so much for your help. Ethel
DanielleH_RD
on 9/17/07 11:48 am - CA
You are one of many who have this problem.  There is no simple reason that I can cite to explain what's happening.  Suffice it to say that your body is getting used to the big changes that have been made - and it's not so happy right now. You still have to try and get your protein in first, eat 3 meals a day, don't let more than 5 hours pass between meals, don't drink with meals, and take your supplements. A lot of people complain of not being able to eat more than 1-2 bites at a meal.  Sometimes sipping a protein shake slowly can help you get over the hump without losing too much on your protein requirements.  Soups can work too - but they are usually more liquid than anything else and you stillneed the substance of food. The good news: this will pass in time. Some people have relief by adding chamomile or peppermint tea between meals - try them, they taste good and are very calming to your stomach. I also encourage you to look at the different forums, this is a pretty common issue and there are some post-op folks out there who have found some very creative ways of dealing with the ups & downs of eating. Good luck! Danielle Halewijn RD eNutritioncare.com
Amy Williams
on 9/18/07 9:16 am
Hi Ethel, What you are experiencing is very common.  Stick with what you can tolerate, if pinto & cheese is working, do that for now and advance when you feel like it.  Some people the sight of food just turns their stomach after surgery.  It does get better.  :-)

I've lost over 400 pounds!  
I love helping others, if you have a question just ask!  

Click on a link to read more about my journey:  
My website   My reconstructive photos 

Most Active