New Post Op w/ question on drinking and eating at the same time

Marianne C.
on 9/17/07 12:30 pm - Hudson, FL
I am almost 5 weeks post op and finding it very hard to get in my liquids and still eat and get the calories I need during a day. I have absolutely no hunger at all. Not even head hunger. For once in my life I"m eating to live and not living to eat.  I know that we are not supposed to drink at all within an hour of eating. I understand the reason for this is so that the liquid will not flush the food out of the pouch and render if empty again and we would be come hungry again. This make sense.  My question is that NOW... while I am in this phase that I have NO hunger issues and yet I am having trouble getting my fluid in.... would it be ok for me to eat and then drink as soon as I feel I am able to even if the 30 minutes is not up yet? At least for now while I don't get hungry? OR are there other reasons not to drink after eating too?

Most dreams are lost by giving up what we want most for what we want at the moment.

MelaniaB_RD
on 9/18/07 1:15 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Marianne, We always recommend drinking fluids 30-60 minutes before or after a meal.  This establishes a good habit to practice for the years to come.  The reason dietitians and surgeons recommend NOT drinking fluids with meals is that fluids can easily stretch your pouch especially so early after surgery and can contribute to nausea and vomiting. Remember that any sugar-free, decaffinated and non-carbonated beverages can be counted as fluid; things that melt at room temperature such as sugar-free jello or popsicles also count as fluid.  Protein supplements made with milk (or lactose-free milk if lactose intolerant) can also be counted as part of your fluids.   I would try very hard to avoid fluids 30-60 minutes before or after a meal to establish this good habit.  Although it seems very difficult now, it will help you in the long run.   Fluid requirements are at least 64 ounces (8 cups per day).  This is the equivalent of 4 standard 16-ounce bottles of water per day.  You could also try using the Crystal Light To Go (my personal favorite is Orange Sunrise..tastes like Tang).  Take a bottle or thermos of fluids wherever you go and sip, sip, sip.  You might also try to make a game out of this and record ALL fluids consumed from the time you get up until you go to bed.  See what you are drinking now and try to increase that amount by 1/2 cup per day until you reach your 8 cup per day goal.  Reward yourself (non-food) with each success!! Cheers, Melania Behrens, MA, RD eNutritionCare.com
(deactivated member)
on 9/19/07 11:10 am - 5K from Everywhere, MN
You're likely still digesting what you ate, even if you don't "feel" full anymore or "able" to take more in. The nerves that were cut when the pouch was formed take a while to heal - at 5 weeks out you still may not be "feeling" whether your pouch is empty vs. full.  You'll want to give yourself the benefit of the doubt and let every oz. of nutrition you take in have the best chance to be absorbed, because you're still taking so little of it in at this point.  Drinking any sooner than 30 minutes risks flushing out minerals and vitamins. As you get further out, the pouch will heal, and you'll get a truer "feel" for when you can begin drinking again after a meal, you won't necessarily be looking at the clock anymore, but you'll still have a "wait."  For me, that can be anywhere from 15 - 45 minutes depending on the type of food I've eaten. It will get easier to get your fluid in, it's not really the "norm" to be reaching your 64 oz. quota yet at this point.  I know of very few people who were able to do it so soon post-op.  The idea is to try your best.  Following a meal too soon with water can give you nausea/vertigo at this stage as well - the small intestine is still trying to re-learn how to adapt to its new connection.  Too much nutrition being thrown at it too quickly can throw it out of whack. 
Most Active