Which veggies?

wendybear1
on 9/17/07 1:13 am - Brooklyn, NY
I'm able to add in fresh, uncooked vegetables in a few days, and I'm wondering which ones would be best to start off with. I'm dying for a salad, but I know that I have to try each veggie by itself first to see which ones work for me. Where do I  start? Thanks!

senoraburt
on 9/17/07 2:11 am - IN
I like cucumbers and they seem to chew up well. I also like tomatoes but want to not overdue the acidic vegetables. Carrots taste good but require lots of munching. Really a matter of personal taste.
MelaniaB_RD
on 9/17/07 5:34 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Wendy, Since I don't know how far out you are post-op, I will give you the general guidelines for introducing vegetables. On the soft diet stage (6-12 weeks post-op), we recommend soft, cooked fresh, frozen or canned vegetables such as carrots, beets, mushrooms, spinach or green peans.  At this point we recommend avoiding vegetables with tough skins or seeds such as tomatoes, corn, celery for the 1st 6 months.  The cabbage family vegetables (cabbage, broccoli, squash, & brussels sprouts) are known to cause gas distress.  The above also holds true for a regular diet (usually about week 12 post-op).   If you want to have a salad, try buying shredded lettuce at first to get used to chewing rougher things.  And yes, introducing a new vegetable one at time is wise because if you don't tolerate it, it is easy to pinpoint.   Enjoy your veggies! Melania Behrens, MA, RD eNutritionCare.com
wendybear1
on 9/17/07 6:11 am - Brooklyn, NY
I'm three months out. Thanks for your help.

Most Active