heating up protein drink

thenewTamara
on 9/15/07 7:41 am
I am using Muscle MIlk for protein.  I add 1 scope to 8 oz of milk and heat in the microwave.  I have read that if you heat the protein up to more then 130 degrees that the protein will break down. How can I know how long I can heat in the microwave before it get to 130 degrees? Thanks for your help! Tamara
DanielleH_RD
on 9/15/07 12:30 pm - CA
The breakdown that is going to occur is called denaturation. That's what happens when protein hits your stomach acid as well. The individual protein molecules will be altered, but the amino acid structure won't. Think of this example - When you put an egg into the frting pan, the 'clear' part turns white.  The white of the egg "denatured" with heat.  Is the protein in the egg now bad? No it is just cooked. Same thing with your protein drink.  Don't worry about the changes that occur with heat. But you asked about the time.  I'll tell you, since I am a mom of a 1 year old - it takes about 30 seconds to get 4 oz of milk warm and 40 seconds to get 6 oz of milk warm - maybe at 50 seconds your 8oz will be warm? regards, Danielle Halewijn RD eNutritioncare.com
Most Active