Sound plan

Sherry65
on 9/15/07 3:46 am - Las Vegas, NV
Ok..my Surgeon's rules are 3-4oz meals a day..no less,no more.This is supposed to be followed forever....Does this sound like a healthy plan?I have been adding two protein shakes because without them I feel sluggish. I do work out for 45 min to an hour 5 days a week...Cardio as well as weight training.Our group does not have a Nut.our Surgeon says the rules are so easy no need for one.I have been losing 2 to 3 pounds a week pretty consistantly. 
Sherry

Three Rules to Life, Give it your all, Never take anything for granted and always smile at what life might throw at you!
sarard
on 9/15/07 4:06 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Hello, Great question. Many surgeons don't have dietitians or nutritionists in thier offices (there is a difference between dietitians and nutritionists - see previous postings). They try to answer the nutrition questions themselves, and may refer you to someone only if the surgeon can not answer. In any event, you found the right forum. :) We can help. Eating 3-4 oz per meal immediately post op sounds like a lot of food to me. If you are a standard RNY patient, your pouch size is likely about the size of a shot glass. That is about 1 oz. So, eating 3-4 oz at a time seems like a lot - unless you are eating slowly over 1-1.5 hours. Is it difficult for you to eat that much food at one time? Are you allowed to eat anything you want? Eating 3-4 oz of food per meal for the first year sounds pretty good. As you get closer to your one-year marker, this may seem like not enough food. Over time, your pouch will stretch a bit. I typically see people eating a 'normal' sized meal after one year: 1/2 sandwich, 6 oz yogurt, 1 fruit for each meal. This meal size is obviously over 3-4 oz. Really, you do want to follow your surgeon's recommendations. Can you get adequate nutrition with 3-4 oz per meal ?-- sure you can. You will need to eat highly nutritious foods. No junk foods. And, you may need to increase to 5 meals per day if your weight loss is too rapid. Currently, at 2-3 pounds per week, sounds like you are right on target. Keep up with the protein shakes. Keep up with the exercise. I hope you've also got the vitamins on board. :) Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Most Active