What are the symptoms of being lactose intolerant?

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/07 7:47 am - Opelika, AL
I wonder if I am becoming lactose intolerant.  I have read that some post-ops develop it.  What are the symptoms? Joanna
MelaniaB_RD
on 9/13/07 12:03 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Lactose intolerance post-operatively after RNY is a side effect that is seen in many post-op RNY patients, which is really a secondary lactase deficiency. LactASE is the enzyme that is responsible for breaking down the carbohydrate in milk (lactOSE).  If there is disease in the intestine or as in RNY, a re-routing of foods and liquids, this part of the intestine is not real good at breaking down lactose.  Lactose intolerance is dose related, meaning that most people can drink 1/2 cup of milk and the lactose can be broken down without symptoms, but more than that amount will usually produce the classic symptoms of bloating, gas and diarrhea.  This is why I always caution people who have RNY to introduce milk slowly and watch for the symptoms.  If you have these symptoms, you can use a lactose-free milk, soy milk OR try to drink no more than 1/2 at any one time.  Most people who are lactose intolerant can usually tolerate ice cream, cheese & yogurt without any symptoms.   Melania Behrens, MA, RD eNutritionCare.com
bjhice
on 9/28/07 1:30 pm - New Kent, VA
I haven't been able to tolerate ANY dairy or soy products post-surgery, which has made it difficult to eat. I'm thinking of trying goat's milk or rice milk and see what happens. Have spent the last 30 days running to the bathroom and it's getting old. Have been existing on oatmeal, Isopure and refried beans - Yippie! BJ
Most Active