New Sx: Loud Gurgles

MelissaRoo
on 9/11/07 10:49 pm
I'm almost 4 months out from my lap RNY and this last week or so I have developed this overwhelming loud gurgling sound when I digest my food.  Everyone in the room can hear it!  My kids are laughing at me now.  Is this normal?  Am I eating too fast and have air in there?  It sounds like I need to pass gas or I need to poop soon, but that's not what happens.   It doesn't matter what I eat, it happens with many different types of food.  I had about 2 and 1/2 oz of baked Corvina fish last night.  Nothing to drink.  A couple of bites of a peeled garden tomato.  Gurgle fest in my tummy for about 1 hour! Is this going to be the new norm?  Am I eating the wrong things?  Should I be doing something different?

MelaniaB_RD
on 9/12/07 1:24 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Melissa: This is a common problem in many of the patients that I see.  There  is often no ryhme or reason to it.  I would try the following: 1. Take small bites and chew food 15-20 times per bite (takes time); swallowing less air usually helps. 2. Avoid "gas forming" foods such as legumes, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts. 3. Continue to drink before or after meals. 4. Avoid carbonated beverages. 5. Avoid chewing gum as this increases the air that you swallow and may result in burping or gurgling. 6. Avoid any foods that are not tolerated, i.e. milk if you are lactose intolerant, fried or greasy foods, etc. Hope this helps! Melania Behrens, MA, RD eNutritionCare.com
MelissaRoo
on 9/12/07 12:28 pm
Thanks, Melania!  Will keep all these tips in mind. Have a good night!

Most Active