Protein Confusion

greenthumb
on 9/7/07 11:28 pm - CA
I am 5'2" and weigh 203.  I was told at my first meeting with the nut. to have 55 grams of protein a day.  This seems so low compared to everyone else.  I am six weeks post-op.  I am walking 2-3 miles a day when I'm able. Please help, Paula
JeanneB_RD
on 9/7/07 11:50 pm
Hi Paula,  It looks like your dietitian calculated your protein requirement using 1gm/kg. Six weeks post-op I would recommend going as high as 1.1gm/kg which would equal 66gm of protein/day.  How many days a week are you averaging for your walk?  Jeanne Barnett, RD Enutritioncare.com
greenthumb
on 9/8/07 12:39 am - CA

Jeanne,

Well, when I'm not dealing with strictures (I've had 2 endos.) I walk 6 days a week.  Also, I don't have a full feeling.  My dr. said to stop when I feel full but I stop at 1/2 C. because I have not had that full feeling.  But then again, I've only been on solids for a few days at a time before an endo. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help!  It is wonderful to have you here. Paula

JeanneB_RD
on 9/8/07 6:23 am
Hi Paula,  I'm so glad I can be of help to you! Walking almost 6 days/week is FANTASTIC. Too bad about your strictures. I would imagine that does restrict your activity.  You're absolutely correct regarding your full feeling. You have to re-train your whole system to deal w/ solids again so it will take some time. Be creative and try some new things that maybe you never liked in the past. You'd be amazed how much your preferences may have changed.  Take care and please feel free to ask questions any time!  Jeanne Barnett, RD Enutritioncare.com
Most Active