Protein Drink

(deactivated member)
on 9/4/07 2:37 pm

Hi Everyone, I am still preop and looking around for a protein shake.  A friend of mine who has had the surgery is using a product called Muscle Milk by cytosport.   http://www.cytosport.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=1 I was just wandering if this is what we should be looking for in a protein drink for new post ops.  (her surgery was 1 year ago so wasnt sure if hers would be different.   Calories     350(water)    640(lowfat milk)

Total Fat 18g (saturated fat 8g - Trans 0)

Cholesterol 5mg

Sodium 200mg

Potassium 600mg

Total Carbs 12g

Protein 32g

mzdivine
on 9/5/07 6:10 am - Long Beach, CA
Hi, You have to try different protein drinks until you find one that you like.  Everybody has different taste after surgery and the muscle milk might not agree with you.  Go to a vitamin shoppe and buy just a few protein drinks, either powder or liquid and after surgery try them and see which one you like and taste okay to you.  There are many, many different brands of protein, some you can only buy online, but you won't know what you really like until after surgery and you try a few.  Good luck in your journey, Dee

We are more than Conquerors, Romans 8:37

sarard
on 9/5/07 2:24 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Hi, Nutritionally, I think this protein shake is fantastic (I am assuming this is for an 8 oz serving?). What you need to look for is a shake that is low in sugar and high in protein. Try to keep it below 15 g per 8 oz of sugar. This one meets that criteria. Check the taste. Remember, you are going to be drinking this daily, so it better taste good or you'll get sick of it fast. Get a few different shakes and few different flavors. Good luck! Sara Nejat-Bina, RD eNutritionCare.com
(deactivated member)
on 9/5/07 2:29 pm
Thanks for the replies.  I was hoping it would be ok (mainly since there are so many different flavors ) surely some will be good.  I was mainly concerned when I saw the Carbs I didnt know if 12g was too much.  Thank you so much for your help.   I am wanting to start out on the protein ealier I have heard that it will help with the adjusting to new lifestyles and promote healing when I have the surgery. Thanks Again!!!
sarard
on 9/5/07 2:39 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Starting protein early is a good idea. Then, you'll have a pretty good routine and knowledge on what tastes good for after surgery. :) 12 g is not too much ... a good rule is to keep SUGAR less than 15 g per 8 oz serving. :) Sara eNutritionCare.com
Most Active