Protein Intake

Michele B.
on 9/4/07 9:24 am - OH
5' 2 and I am wondering how you figure out the amout of protein.  Mich

sarard
on 9/4/07 12:30 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Dear Mich, Well, there are a lot of factors that go into a dietitians calculation of your protein needs. But, I can give you a 'quick & dirty' method that usually lands somewhere in the ballpark. Take your weight in kilograms and multiply by 0.8-1.0. Basically, you need 0.8-1.0 grams per kilogram of body weight. So, if you weight 200 lbs, then you are 90 kilograms (2.2 lbs in 1 kilogram) and multiply by 0.8-1.0 yields: 72-90 g protein per day. With that being said, it's more difficult to calculate for someone who is obese as fat does not use protein like your muscles and organs. So, 72-90 g is probably a bit on the high side of your true need. But, if you are working out really hard and exercising a lot, your protein need increases too .... Does that help or confuse you more? Sara Nejat-Bina, RD
Michele B.
on 9/5/07 6:21 am - OH
No it helps I am trying to just understand somethings, I am sure the amount of physcial activity a person does has a bearing on it also. Thanks so much. It is probally best to make your protein the highest percentage of food you eat and then, carbs and last fat. Is that correct.

sarard
on 9/5/07 12:51 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
For someone who has had a gastric bypass, yes, I would say that protein first, carbs second, fat last is a good way to eat. :) However, I do not think this model is true for the typical person, so, if you are feeding your family members who have not had surgery, this is probably not the best way to eat.
Most Active