Fatigue, eye aches, blood shot eye

lawrenln88
on 9/2/07 4:05 am
I am 3 months out.  I take in 60 grams of protein in a day by eating food, stopped shakes.  I eat cheese, poultry, yogurt, but mainly cheese.  No vegetables and some fruit.  I take 2 multiples a day (Swanson Premium Brand) whi*****lude 24 grams of iron a day and 800 mcg of folic acid.  My regular meds, 1000 mg of calcium with magnesium & vitamin D, 5 mg of biotin, 500  mcg of B-12 twice a day.   I have fatigure in the mornings which may be due to taking 0.5 of xanax in the evening to get to sleep.  But I have problems with being cold, sores in my mouth and eye aches.  Any clues. I have lost 40 lbs in 3 months. Any help would be appreciated.  I have blood work done 2 weeks after surgery and all was well, but it's been awhile now and am thinking I am either taking too much of something or not enough.
KathieInHawaii
on 9/2/07 10:11 am - Ewa Beach, HI
Aloha! When you lose weight rapidly, it does take a toll on the body and sometimes fatigue can be a side effect. Now that you are a bit further out, you may want to bump up your protein levels. 60 grams is okay but the further out you get, your body will need more protein per day in order to maintain muscle mass and to fuel your weight loss. It takes calories and of course, protein. By the time you are about a year out, most RDs recommend that you are eating about 110 - 120 grams of protein from food (and if necessary supplementation).  If your fatigue continues, you should talk to your doctor about running some labs. I have had some significant problems due to malabsorption and of course, iron deficiency will make you tired. Also, if your thyroid is not functioning properly, you can also experience fatigue.  With me, I have severe malabsorption of my fat soluble vitamins (A,D,E,and K), cannot absorb fats through food so I have to do some extra supplementation. Also, for me, the sublingual B12 didn't do the trick. I had to go back to my monthly injections which really really help. Without them, I am very lethargic.  One thing that you mentioned is that you say you eat NO vegetables and little fruit. This is something that your body NEEDS!! Complex carbohydrates (whole grains, fruits, vegetables) are what provide your body with energy. Without having a good variety of these, you can definitely feel tired and out of synch. Protein is a necessity but complex carbohydrates are the building blocks for energy in our bodies. Without a balance of both, you will find that you won't feel well. Add veggies and fresh fruits! Also, I encourage EVERYONE to add complex carbohydrates to their diet!!!!!!! Brown rice, sweet potatos, beans/legumes and all other types of whole grains (oatmeal, cereals, etc.) I have a feeling that if you eat some fruit, have some whole wheat toast for breakast and eat some brown rice with chicken for dinner...you may see a little giddyup in your step!  (I eat about 120 grams of complex carbs a day.... at a minimum).  Hope this helps and hope you feel better soon! Hugs, Kathie in Hawaii

lawrenln88
on 9/2/07 11:31 am
Kathy, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to respond.  Everything you said is so very helpful.  I am going for my labs soon but will definitely increase my protein and complex carbs.  I find that if I eat too many carbs, I get full and there goes the protein.  I do have 1/2 a slice of whole grain everyday but rarely eat veggies.  I probably eat 1 portion of fruite a day.  Thanks again Kathy from Hawaii and Aloha!!!
Most Active