Carb Count for Vegetarians/Caloric needs????? Need Nutrition Advice!!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/07 10:36 pm, edited 9/1/07 11:59 pm - Newport, PA

I have a couple of questions, here....I am about 10 weeks out from an RNY, and finding  even well chewed meat in tiny portions 1)bothers me and 2)doesn't taste good to me anymore. I am now using more complex carbs such as beans (pinto, kidney, soy) in my diet.  I am using fish, eggs, cheese and New Whey protein vials. The rest of my carbs come from approx. 2-3 oz fruit per day. If one is eating, basically, vegetarian, what would be the best carb count at this stage of the game? (My protein runs from 60-90 grams per day, but my carbs run from 40-60.)

Ok, so I keep reading that if one does not get enough calories that you go into "starvation mode" and you don't lose weight.  I have to admit that this is a puzzler to me. IF one is getting plenty of protein (mine is between 60-90 every day) and supplements, I guess I do not quite understand this "starvation mode" theory.  I mean, folks who get few calories, eventually, DO lose weight/die of starvation.  I never heard of someone who died of (actual) starvation dying FAT.  I know that they would have lost muscle mass as well as fat....but still....

I ask this, because I recently forced myself to up my calories from 500-600 per day to 800-900 per day and gained 5 pounds!!!!  I am about 10 weeks out of an RNY. Please know that I am very limited in activity due to a spinal condition that awaits surgery.  There are days when walking around the house is a major effort.  I will admit that I was less tired when I upped my calories, but at what cost?

Thanks for any and all forwarded knowledge in this department!

DaZed and ConfuZed, Linda

sarard
on 9/2/07 2:28 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Hi Linda, Wow, Ok, let me try to tackle these questions. I have so much to tell you. I'll start from the top. Actually, first, let me tell you I am a dietitian, I have 5 years experience with RNY patients and currently working with eNutritionCare.com. Regarding the meat issue -- it's pretty common that meat becomes offensive right after a Roux. However, don't give up on it, keep trying it. Also, fish is a great alternative. It is flesh from an animal, so does offer you the same protein advantages as cow meat or chicken. Eggs are similar, as they are from a chicken. So, in regards to the quality of protein you are getting, you're cool. Unless your surgeon or dietitian has told you to count carbs, I would advise you not to count carbs. Espically since you are really eating good carbs. Cookies, candies, and sweets are the carbs you want to avoid for multiple reasons (dumping syndrome, future weight loss, and general health). So, 40-60 g of carbs is great - you don't need to count these. Protein, you do need to count as it plays such an important role in your healing. 60-90 grams is fantastic. You're doing great. Moving on to Starvation Mode. Yes, when one does not eat enough calories, your body does try to conserve. Your metabolism may slow down, you can become fatigued. Usually what tends to happen is your body will also burn up your muscle instead of fat for energy. Since your fat contains 9 calories per gram, and your muscle contains 4 calories per gram. When your body thinks it's starving, it will try to hold onto the fat (as it is more valuable at 9 calories per gram) and burns off the muscle. However, we are talking about true, true starvation here. I am not convinced that eating 600 calories per day would put you into this starvation mode. Although, I also have a hard time believing that eating 900 calories per day would make you gain 5 lbs (as you need to eat an excess of 3500 calories to gain ONE pound). My guess would be that the 5 lbs of weight gain came from fluid or something else .... So, with all that being said, here's my recommendations for you: 1. Don't count your carbs unless instructed to by your surgeon. 2. Continue eating the protein foods you are currently eating - although, continue to try to eat meat from time to time to see if it's more tolerable. 3. Continue to eat somewhere between 500-900 calories per day 4. Try to exercise, even if it's leg lifts or arm lifts from your chair. Exercise does not always have to be running or biking or such. It can be just lifting your arms up and down over your head 100 times per day. Hope that offers some help ... Sara Nejat-Bina, RD eNutritionCare.com
sarard
on 9/2/07 2:31 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Danielle, if you are reading this, you can likely explain metabolism when it comes to starvation better than me ... I know you are cruising the nutrition board ... :)
(deactivated member)
on 9/2/07 7:45 am - Newport, PA

Thank You!!!!!!  This is priceless information!!!!

Unfortunately, the nutritionist associated with my surgeon does not seem to have your expertise.  I suspect that she may not even be a "real" nutritionist, but someone who they have trained for the position.  I taught her about protein vials, unflavored protein, Fit Day and OH!  That situation has been very frustrating to me, because I had so many questions, and no one to ask!  I do not think enough OH members know about what this forum does!  I will, personally, post something on the main board!  I will keep your name in my "wish" list, and if I get so I can afford you, will pay for your help!  Does your site connect with insurance companies in any way?  They paid for my "other" nutritionist!

Again, thanks!  I can worry less and enjoy meals more!  It is difficult to up caloric intake when one has 3 meals a day (3oz ea) and two protein drinks!

I do use a Gazelle-type exercizer on the days when I can.  Ironically, even arm lifts are hard for me, as I have two shoulders that need replacing.  Let's face it, I had the RNY just in the nick of time, before I "graduated" to wheel-chair access!

Again, thank you!

(((HugZ))), Linda

sarard
on 9/2/07 9:07 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Dear Linda, I am glad I could be of help. OH has recently added us (4 dietitians with WLS experience) as moderators of this forum. I'm glad I helped you and, please, feel free to continuing asking questions on this forum. We are here to help! And, most importantly, food is for enjoyment. Enjoy every bite of your meals. Relax, and enjoy. Take care. Sara Nejat-Bina, RD
Most Active