Carbonation?

Meemorosie
on 8/22/07 6:51 am - PA

No sodas? Are you serious? Is this true? Uh oh...I may have to start liking coffee *L*

DanielleH_RD
on 8/22/07 2:11 pm - CA
Let me get the question correct - are you talking about sodas post op from a Gastric bypass? If so, if you look at some of the other boards you will see many others with the same dilemma.  Some people will let the soda go flat and then drink it. The issue is primarily with the carbonation.  Anatomically, your stomach is altered by the surgery.  The upper section of your stomach acts as a sort of gas collection area, when it's full, you burp.  After bypass surgery and the formation of your pouch, you no longer have this area and so you no longer have an effective way of eliminating the gas from your system.  The gas will leave - and you may end up with some reflux as a result. There are a lot of fantastic beverages that are not carbonated.  And water isn't so bad either. Danielle Halewijn RD eNutritioncare.com
Meemorosie
on 8/22/07 10:09 pm - PA
Thank you for replying! Great information! Is that the same with lap-band?
DanielleH_RD
on 8/23/07 1:39 pm - CA
It could vary depending on where they place the band - but safely, I would say , yes.
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

drgreene1096
on 8/29/07 12:10 pm - Alexandria, IN
I can't answer for the lapband or the RNY, but with the DS I drink soda every single day!  I don't have the problems that the other poster described because my stomach is in tact.  Visit us over at the Duodenal Switch Board if you want to know more!!

Danielle ~ GRDS~ Dr. Ara Keshishian ~ 7/5/05

SW~336
CW~126
GW~136

10 pounds under goal!! 

"
When life hands you lemons, stuff them down your bra to make your boobs look bigger."

Jennifer K.
on 8/29/07 10:06 pm - Phoenix , AZ
You may find post-op that you no longer care to drink soda.  I found after not drinking diet soda for a while it tastes completely disgusting now. I will now and then have a little soda but I get very burpy and sometimes gassy. It also makes me very very thirsty. Soda does more harm than good (even diet) so its best to save it as an occasional treat.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

GayleTx
on 9/2/07 8:10 am - northeast, TX

Lapband people are instructed not to use carbonated drinks of any kind.  Many people have tried and many people have been sorry.....unless they like pain, of course. 

Amethyst H.
on 9/2/07 8:24 am - WA
Sadly, soda has ingredients in it that are harmful to our bodies, whether or not we let it go flat before drinking it.  One ingredient leaches calcium from our bones, and especially women who are post malabsorptive surgeries would be far better off to avoid robbing our bodies of calcium!
Most Active