Cost of Protein

Michelle T.
on 8/18/07 1:11 am, edited 8/18/07 1:12 am - Georgetown, DE
I have a very limited income and find it difficult to afford the protein powders.  Does anyone have any suggestions? My surgery is 8/21. Thanks, Michelle

Your three best doctors are FAITH, TIME, and PATIENCE

DanielleH_RD
on 8/18/07 10:29 am - CA
Nonfat dry milk powder is inexpensive, but you will have to use a bit more than some of the super-supplemented protein powders.  In 1/4 cup of powder, there is 6g of protein.  Dried buttermilk (if you can find it) is a little better at 10g.  The protein supplement "shakes" have the benefit of flavors (like chocolate, vanilla, etc), they are often controlled for carbohydrates (which you may or may not tolerate), and they taste pretty good. There are many protein powders out there that are very expensive.  Read the labels - you will find that most of the cheaper, store brand versions are just as good as the big name products.  For example, I have a patient (with a milk allergy) who needed a soy based protein.  She shopped all over and found a wonderful product at Henry's (sister company of Whole Foods - I believe) that was half the price of the major brands.  It was labeled under the store name.  My husband loves the chocolate powder available at Costco by EAS (whey and soy protein source) - per serving it has 3 g carbs, 27 g protein and costs about $24 for a 6 lb. bag Keep in mind also that when you first have the surgery, your intake is going to be less - so the protein supplement will last longer. Your use will increase over time, but your tolerance to other protein sources will also improve (so you can use cottage cheese instead of powder). Also, you won't be buying as much regular food because you won't be eating that at all. (Just a fact, I'm not trying to be mean) I hope this helps - and good luck Tuesday!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Jennifer K.
on 8/29/07 10:02 pm - Phoenix , AZ
I was purchasing mine at EarthFare (its like whole foods/trader joes)... I bought BioChems 100% whey protein (vanilla)... it was 12$ a can. I cant remember off hand how many shakes it made but when I was doing a 2 week liquid diet it lasted that time!

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

Most Active