does suich a vitamin exist?

twinmom913
on 8/16/07 3:16 am - Alburtis, PA
Is there any type of multi vitamin out there that has everything including calcium, B12 and the iron needed after gastric bypass?  If not does anyone recommend a good brand of a multi vitamin?
DanielleH_RD
on 8/17/07 9:53 am - CA
None that I know of - and since you shouldn't take calcium and iron together, it wouldn't be a good idea to have an "all-in-one" with those minerals. The number and amount of supplements post-operatively can be very challenging.  Believe me when I say, it is important to take your supplements and to be very regimented about it.  A lot of the long-term data coming out in the literature about post-operative complications mentions again and again how 'bad things' could have been avoided if supplements were used - I'm talking fractures that have led to amputation, permanent nerve damage, and other complications that can be linked back to nutritional deficiencies. As far as a multi. Some docs suggest prenatal vits - but these are not appropriate for women past child bearing age.  A good high potency multi from any brand will work.  You don't have to spend a fortune on your multivitamin.  There are fantastic vitamin preparations available in "plain wrap", store brand, or generic forms.  I personally am a big fan of Trader Joes - good vitamins and good $$$ value. I hope this helps!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Debbie D.
on 8/29/07 7:58 am - KS
Hi, I had lap rny on 3/5/07.  My doctor is Dr. Hornbostel out of Sedalia, MO.  He recommends a mutli-vitamin that is made especially for Post Bariatric Surgery Patients.  The name is OptiSource and you can purchase it online at Walgreens.  It is chewable and you take 4 a day.  I take 2 in the morning and 2 before I go to bed.  It has everything that I need including calcium, B12 and Iron.  I also take a B12 injection twice a month. Hope this helps you. Take care, Debbie D.
Jennifer K.
on 8/29/07 10:05 pm - Phoenix , AZ
There is not an all in one pill... reason being your body cannot absorb all those nutrients at once... some interefere with the absorption of others. Calcium has to be taken seperately from a multi. Multis do include iron (you have to check the label - all dont!) and B vitamins... however, sometimes the iron isnt enough and another suppliment is needed. Typically we are required to take an additional B (12 or complex) as well. As for iron... it cannot be taken with certain vitamins... I dont know exactly what because I dont take it. For a multi I take Flintsones Complete... has everything I need and they are cheap!

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

Most Active