My protein levels dangersly low

tctaylor
on 7/31/07 2:15 am - Clementon, NJ
Hi, I dont post much. Been actually very busy because im so much more active with the weightloss. But anyway I had my 6 month bloodwork taken and was told my protein was dangersly low, i dont understand why because just about everything I eat is chicken or fish, or something i know is high in protein. I dont drink any protein drinks because I didnt find anything I liked. But i figured if I am eatin high protein foods, that would be ok. And the only drink I did like was the boost and then i found out that was a no no. So if I could get any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
DanielleH_RD
on 7/31/07 12:29 pm - CA
I would need a little more information. What proteins are dangerously low ? (lab levels if you have them) Have you had any recent infections, illnesses, colds? How many meals a day? Why was boost a no-no?
tctaylor
on 7/31/07 2:06 pm - Clementon, NJ

Thanks for responding. I had my 6 month blood work done, and i was told my levels for protein was at 11 and it should be at 20. I havent had any recent illnesses or colds, I have been doing pretty well actually. No major complaints. I eat 6 meals a day just about everyday. And i was told that the boost was a no no, because of the carbs. I was told about boost from my cousin who had the surgery that im not too close too and dont talk to often.  She has lost alot of weight already so i think the boost is ok for her, but somebody just starting out i dont think its good because of the carbs in it.

DanielleH_RD
on 8/1/07 2:28 am - CA
The protein was 11, so they were looking at total protein.  Did they have albumin levels too? The facts are that you are losing weight and doing it in a way that forces your body to pull from your reserves in order to provide energy and and building blocks for maintenance.   I am going to digress into a little physiology lesson: The energy you are using to live primarily comes from your fat reserves now because your intake of food is so restricted.  What you are able to eat is immediately converted for energy or maintenance.  The body will spare protein if it needs it for building new muscles, healing, or immunity.  When the only thing you are taking in is protein the body will use some of it for energy but most of it for maintenance of your body.  Protein only has a small amount of energy potential.  Your body prefers to run on glucose (sugar).  Protein is made up of amino acid chains, on the end of that chain is a structure that can be turned into sugar.  Protein is not converted into sugar (just like your fat cannot be converted into muscle) The carb restriction exists for two reasons - one, you may not tolerate carbs well (ex: lactose intolerance or dumping) and two, you will get full fast with the pouch so eating protein first is more important.  Your body can convert fat to glucose relatively easily, so carbs are not as necessary in your intake.  Protein cannot be produced unless your body breaks down some other structure in order to obtain the necessary amino acids (proteins are made up of amino acids, proteins make up your muscles and organs). If you aren't taking in enough protein, your body will steal from itself in order to get the protein - so your body will cannibalize its own muscles to get protein.  The only way to stop or slow this process is to maintain a regular exercise program.  How does that work? If you are using your muscle groups, your body will recognize the need to keep those muscles intact.  It's the "use it, or lose it" rule - if you need the muscle for regular use, your body will maintain it.  If you do not use the muscles, your body thinks it is fair game to break it down and use it for other purposes. Here's my analogy - you are living in a cold place, it's winter and you have no firewood.  You do have an old wood shed out back that you're not using.  Instead of freezing, you cut up that old shed and burn it to keep warm.  That's what your body does with muscles if you don't use them. So back to your protein levels.  Eat your protein first at every meal.  If you are able to sip a protein shake between meals, great.  If boost is the only one you can stand - that's fine as long as you tolerate it and it fits in to your daily calorie goals.  Preferable would be a low-carb protein mixed with water or skim milk.  Eat fish, chicken, cottage cheese or whatever proteins you like at your 6 meals.  Consider stirring a little protein powder in - cottage cheese with some vanilla protein powder and a little splenda in the blender is not a bad little treat (I like it blended rather than stirred to take away any chalky residue from the protein - not everyone is bothered by that.  Stirring works too!)  Supplement protein whenever you can. And most important - MOVE. Keep up your activity, what ever it is.  Use your major muscle groups and give your body a reason to maintain those muscles! Take your supplements every day and don't forget!  If you do these things you will be fine.  Having some of your labs come back low is not unusual. I hope this helps - and good luck!
Most Active