Agave nectar

RIN
on 6/4/07 8:31 am
Does anyone have experience with Agave Nectar after surgery.  Artificial sweeteners can be migraine triggers for me, so I'm trying to find alternatives.  Thanks, Lynn
~~Sami~~ *.
on 9/7/07 1:24 pm - Jacksonville, FL
I've tried agave in smoothies and such.  It's great for diabetics or insulin resistant folks because it has a lower glycemic load (affect on blood sugar).  It's also natural, so you shouldn't have the migraine issues with it.  I will say I haven't cooked with it, but have used it in beverages and such.  Although, in case you're interested :
  • Use 1/3 cup of agave syrup for every 1 cup of sugar in the original recipe.
  • The quantity of liquids in the original recipe must be reduced due to the moisture included in the syrup.
  • Some chefs also reduce the oven temperature by 25°F in recipes requiring baking.
I'd buy a small bottle and give it a try. :)

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

RIN
on 9/11/07 9:42 am
Sami, Thanks for your reply.  I actually bought a full case of Agave, and I use it in everything from drinks to baking. I feel much better about using it over artificial sweeteners. Lynn
Most Active