Unflavored AND UNSCENTED Protien?????

ccymcm
on 6/4/07 7:20 am - cleveland, OH
Hi, I ordered some samples of protien powders to try before surgery so I might have an idea of what i can tolorate....I am stuck! I am a gagger so the thick stuff is hard for me...so i was trying the Nectar...but every flavor I have tried I gag on because of the smell before I can even taste it. Any suggestions on protien powders that do not have such a potent smell???? I can do the protien shots... which is a plus so if I have to use those everytday that is fine...just looking for a change up...maybe unflavored that I can add to foods or drinks... Thanks so much! Colleen
RIN
on 6/6/07 9:16 am
I am having difficulty with the smell of some of the protein powders as well.  The ready to drink don't seem to have the same odor.  I ordered Unjury because the Blue Cross nurse recommended it.  The paperwork they sent with it was impressive, it is supposed to have all of the amino acids, etc that your body needs, as oposed to some of the other protein drinks.  I first tried the vanilla flavor in coffee and nearly gagged at the smell.  I then mixed it in Crystal Light with the same results.  I'm not normally a gager, but I don't think I'll be able to drink Unjury.  Lynn
ccymcm
on 6/6/07 10:02 am - cleveland, OH
Gosh everyone is so different...what works for some is the exact oppisite for others...I guess it is a matter of trying a bunch and finding the best fir for you...though it can be costly and discouraging.... thanks for your imput and everyone elses as well! Colleen
joeknee
on 6/18/07 6:40 am - OH
I've been using the Unjury to experiment with and I find that if I drink it (or any protein powder) out of a lidded sippy cup, it helps A LOT. It keeps that medicinal smell out of the picture. Good luck Joan  (quick Frappe - use 1 tsp decaff instant coffee and put in lidded cup with enough hot tap water to disolve, add 1/2 cup 1% milk and a scoop of Unjury, put in a few small ice cube, put the lid on and shake it - like a polaroid picture! - voila!)

Lap RNY date: 6/20/07 

Susan Larson
on 7/6/07 3:13 am - North Charleston, SC
I am a gagger also.  I am almost 8 mos. out now and the only protein supplement I can tolerate is called Any Whey protein powder.  I mix a scoop and a half of the protein powder with a package of the No sugar added Carnation Instant breakfast with 8-12 oz. of 1% milk.  It mixes pretty good and I honestly cannot taste or smell the protein.  I have my protein drink every morning on the way to work and I get in about 35grams of protein in that way.  I have tried so many of the protein powders and ready-made drinks and can't tolerate them at all.  Like you, I would gag at the smell of them.  So I was so happy to have found this powder.  I get mine at the Vitamin Shoppe but I think you can buy it online.  It is called Any Whey protein powder (unflavored).  I hope this helps! Susan
flowergirl
on 7/6/07 5:39 am - monroe, NC
I also use Any Whey - I use it just like Susan said in Carnation Instant Breakfast no sugar added and it doesn't have a smell or taste. I have also added it to pudding and soup and it works great. Good Luck - Julie
Anggi
on 9/10/07 6:21 am - Rapid City, SD
I had the same problem initially with smells gagging me not only with protein powder but eggs, mea****er, and a few other things. I don't know how far out from surgery you are, but I found that my acceptance of the smells changed throughout the first 3 months. I can't tell you after that because I was diagnosed with cancer and exactly 3 months out from WLS I underwent brain surgery for the cancer. I lost my sense of smell and a lot of my taste, so at this point I can eat a lot of things I could not stand before. However, I wouldn't recommend the cancer surgery route as a solution, just keep trying different ones. Prior to the loss of smell, I found the unflavored Any Whey Protein to be the most tolerable.
Most Active