Recent Posts

Citykitty
on 3/26/12 5:55 am - Sydney, Canada
Topic: RE: It is offical
Hi CaperGal,

So glad to hear you are doing well.Isn't it amazing - if we just follow the program and do what they tell us to do, IT WORKS.  You'll be amazed at how many health problems will either disappear or will get much better as you continue to lose weight.  I was diagnosed with diabetes just a couple of months before my surgery, and now my blood sugars are back to normal.

Keep up the good work.

Citykitty
on 3/26/12 5:51 am - Sydney, Canada
Topic: RE: home and sleeved from Mexico
Hi FancyRoses,

Congrats & welcome to the losers' bench. Sorry you had to go so far to get the job done.

Keep taking it one day at a time.

Citykitty
on 3/26/12 5:49 am - Sydney, Canada
Topic: RE: 5 Month Progress with Pictures
Hi Carly,

Congrats girl.  You look fantastic.  Like Blue says, you can really see the difference in your face.

Keep up the good work!

Citykitty
on 3/26/12 5:40 am - Sydney, Canada
Topic: RE: 365 days
Hi Kit,

Way to go, girl.  What an inspiration with those pictures.  I remember Diana Lawlor saying, "Just give us one little year".  I had my surgery in August of last year and things are going great. I'm not losing as fast as they wanted me to, but I'm happy that I'm losing.  If it takes me a little longer to get to goal, that is okay too.

Keep up the great work, Kit, and remember One Day at a Time.

Citykitty
on 3/26/12 5:14 am - Sydney, Canada
Topic: RE: Having my Sleeve on Mar 20!!!!
Hi,

I had my sleeve done in Halifax on Aug 16/11.  I too am no longer diabetic and I've lost about 55 lbs since my surgery.  I have to say I agree wholheartedly with you that I would do it agaIn in a heartbeat!  No complications here either.

Cheers

Citykitty
on 3/26/12 5:05 am - Sydney, Canada
Topic: RE: 2005 Consult, Exploring Again
Hi,

I think your wait time depends very much on your overall general health as well as your age.  I am in my late fifties with a family history of heart disease and stroke.  I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol and sleep apnea as well as arthritis and my wait time from the time I was referred was about 2 1/2 years.  Diana Lawlor explained it to me that the number of comorbidities you have along with your age determines where you will be slotted into the waiting list.  I think what they are trying to do is help people prevent the serious consequences like heart attack and stroke.

You should go to the website for Capital District Health Authority (the bariatric program) and print off a copy of the referral form to take to your doctor.  Once it is filled out he/she can send it in right away.

Hope this sheds some light on the situation.

bluegrrl
on 3/25/12 12:55 pm - Glace Bay, Canada
Topic: RE: Home and sleeved
 Hi Susan.

I've been considering the trip to Mexico.  Politics has me scared and I am not sure about the costs.

I would be thrilled to hear anything about it from someone who has been there.

Leanne

[email protected]
Carly ~
on 3/19/12 3:02 am, edited 3/19/12 1:35 am
Topic: Support Group Meeting - Nova Scotia Bariatric Surgery and Weight Loss Support Group
Just a reminder that our 1st support group meeting is tomorrow.

Tuesday, March 20th, 2012
7:00 pm until 9:00 pm
Larry Uteck Sobeys - Tuesday, March 20th/12
7 to 9 pm

Since it is the first day of Spring, figured it's a great time for new beginnings and a new meeting with old and new friends.

It'll be a regular support group meeting, open discussion.
Can't wait to see you all there!

Larry Uteck Sobeys is right off the Bi Hi/Veteran's Memorial Highway.
Exit 2B Larry Uteck Boulevard. • Highway 102

FancyRoses
on 3/15/12 1:45 am - Lower Sackville, Canada
Topic: RE: 2005 Consult, Exploring Again
sadly you will need to be re-referred and Dr. Allan MacDonald  is no longer the surgeon here in Halifax NS its a Dr James Ellsmere who is surgeon now for obesity and he ONLY does the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy however Dr MacDonald is still doing revisions and repairs in Amherst, NS.  also very sad is your wait time is 10 plus years yes you start OVER at the bottom of a growing 2000 plus patients.  If you have any co mobilities please make sure you doctor lists all these.  There are a few support groups that can be great for those who need support and maybe even just to vent.  We do clothing swaps also.  Hope this helps and please don't hesitate to ask anything else if you like
My goals to a healthy me            
Cindy F.
on 3/14/12 8:35 am - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 02/05/13
Topic: 2005 Consult, Exploring Again
I went for a consult with Dr. Allan MacDonald (Halifax) in April 2005 (after an 18 mos wait just to get that).  I was interested in the lapband and found out that it wasn't available / covered in the maritimes yet. I wasn't interested in the gastric bypass as I thought that was too extreme for my liking.  He went over the options available (limited) and told me to get back to him if I was interested. I called back a few months later and asked to be put on the list as I knew it was at least a 2 year wait time and I'd see where I was weight-wise at that time.

Fast forward 7 years and in that time I've tried a 2 year weight loss study sponsored by Pfizer (lost 70 lbs and regained 3/4), hypnosis for 6 weeks with no weight loss, WW twice, Herbal Magic ($$) for which I lost some weight but again, gained it back. Looking at my old follow-up from that 2005 consultation and I'm only a few pounds lighter. This prompted me to explore surgery options and came across this forum. I'm interested in getting 'sleeved' and have made an appointment with my doctor to get a new referral, as the QEII states that anyone consulted / referred 2008 should get re-referred.

My question after that long spiel is, do you think my past consultation will be taken into consideration for wait times or will I have to start all over again. I'm concerned that Dr. MacDonald's assistant never actually put me on the list.

I'm in relatively good health but the consultation shows that I've been exploring this for a long time and explains my history.  Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this, I'm enjoying reading about everyone's journey's and surgery successes. If I have to start all over, and after reading all the positive experiences, I'll be Mexico-bound within the next year or two.
Most Active