Recent Posts

Dominic E.
on 6/5/12 8:59 pm - Eastern Passage, Canada
Topic: RE: still on waiting list getting fustrated almost 3 yrs now
Hi ns Blue

I think his older chart only went to 52 (he is a retired fill in until they find someone to take over her practice), with the given numbers weight and height it was calculated at 58.5 is what the original Dr had filed before she had left the country on a brighter note I seem to have plateaued on the weight, it is not going up  but only going down much around 2 lbs so far. So I emailed the clinic every month to see if there is any progress...
nsblue
on 6/5/12 6:55 pm - Brookfield. NS, Canada
Dominic,
You say your BMI is off the doctors chart...is it over 60 on the BMI chart? the reaspn I ask is because to have WLS in NS you have to have a BMI of 60 and under. Mine was much higher..and twas why I had to lose weight before they would do surgery. They will give you the diets and tell you to do their program  (diet 2) to get your weight down. If you are waiting to hear from them...it might be best for you to get to the 60 BMI before ///because if not...your wait will still be long until you are at a BMI of 60.  I understand your knees are bad and movement is hard....but you are talking to a person who once was 600 pounds and found it difficult to walk. I lost weight without exercise before i seen the surgeon..but still was 30 pounds over the 60 BMI...it was then  I had to did into their program n do what they said and the weight dropped even moreso.
YOU CAN DO IT!!  i used excuses myself until at a low point i couldnt anymore..I had to for my health. Get to that 60 BMI Dominic work on you...and be ready for that letter they send you.... remember weight loss surgery is only a tool...and a good one..but everything you learn about you and changing your behaviours is what will get that weight off n keep it off.

JoyceSen
on 5/29/12 7:13 am - Canada
Topic: RE: Clinic Referral
Thanks so much for posting so quickly. I am sooo relieved to read your words. I was worried as I have been working towards weight loss for so many years. It's such an uphill battle but your words of encouragement are a wonderful push. Thanks.
Dominic E.
on 5/28/12 9:13 pm - Eastern Passage, Canada
HI Joyce

Glad to hear that you finally received your appointment for the WLS clinic, thanks for the encouragement, I email them every 2 mths for a status getting the same I don't know answer, just not sure what else to do with the WLS clinic if I could have got the loan or had the money I would have had it done myself ages ago.  I know they say they are revamping their system and that there is a 10 waiting list currently, and as my follow ups with them discussions my referral I told the one if I have to wait 10 years by that time I will be 50 years old if I live that long in my current condition, I even contacted MSI asking about getting it done outside of the province or country but they do not do out of the country coverage even though they will send a bulimic or anorxic person to the US for 100K in treatment costs but leave a fat person suffer I had my Dr do a referral for out a province surgery but not sure if it was do ne or done correctly, You would figure when your BMI is off the Doctors chart that they would help move you up a bit, and it seems to be a catch 22 situation they tell you to follow the 2nd last part of the diet program to lose weight while you are waiting, my wife is a nurse and had me following a strict diet and still no avail, all it seemed to do is make me less active since my body did not know what to do... I try to be more active but after 5 knee surgeries over the years due to ACL and dislocations it is very hard with the extra weight to move around to be more active.  I use to play football and rugby and be active when I was in high school but was injured multiple times (dislocations and blown ACL in grade 12) and back then they did not have the surgery option to repair so it was a 6 to 8 mth rehab on Crutches and when you were use to taking in that kind of calorie intake the weight went up exponentially 250 to 350lbs and creeping up to my current 414lbs.  Again I am glad to hear you have heard from them and I hope I hear from them or MSI about out of province options but will not hold my breathe, so for the rant lol just getting more and more fustrated.....

Regards

Dominic

nsblue
on 5/28/12 6:35 pm - Brookfield. NS, Canada
Topic: RE: Clinic Referral
The info session...the first step is just a basic introduction of NS`s Weight Loss Program and the VSG. Having an invite to it means YOU are going to have weight loss surgery IF YOU do as the program tells you. YOU and only YOU are the one who will decide if you are having surgery or not. They will tell you what you need to do...do what they say.and you will have WLS,... dont do as they say and WLS will be at a grasp beyond your reach..... the choice is yours.

You will meet the Weight Loss Team...they will lay everything out for you...then the ball is in your court. They will give you the opportunity to do what you should....then bring you back in for a one on one(usually 3-6 months...one never knows so you have to get on the ball and do as they say) to see IF you did everything. If they see you did...upon having your one on one...WLs is usually within a month.
My info session was in june...my one on one was november..i was operated on in december. my wait for my one on one was longer for the program had delays that year...this year is very different and i am hearin some are having their one on ones within 2-3 months....things are moving fast this year so be forewarned. DO what you need to do girly ...you have the gold ring!!!.. and wls will be yours...it is UP TO YOU!!

JoyceSen
on 5/28/12 8:50 am - Canada
Topic: Clinic Referral
 I have been waiting 4 years and finally have an appointment in July for a weight loss surgery clinic. They say this is the first step in being considered for surgery. Has anyone been turned down and if so, why?  I hate to think I have been waiting this long and may be rejected as a candidate.  I am 48 years ols and I'm not sure how much more yoyo dieting I can take and still keep putting on more weight as the years go by. 

JoyceSen
on 5/28/12 8:37 am - Canada
 I have been waiting 4 years and just received my appointment for a clinic in july. i guess this is the first step.  Like you, I have sleep apnea and a host of other problems due to my weight.  I am quite nervous about the appointment and them finding a reason for me not to have the surgery. It's  nerve racking after all these years. I hope you hear something soon.

KristaB
on 5/24/12 11:30 am - St Catherines, Canada
Topic: RE: I've been sleeved! :)
 Thanks girls!  Good luck with your surgery, Cindy!  Do you have a date yet?  
Cindy F.
on 5/24/12 10:50 am - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 02/05/13
Topic: RE: I've been sleeved! :)
 Congratulations, I'm so happy for you! You'll be a vet by the time I have surgery. Enjoy this exciting time and journey, I'm looking forward to watching your progress and SUCCESS.
Chubbylisa
on 5/18/12 3:17 pm, edited 5/18/12 3:22 pm - Nanaimo, Canada
Topic: RE: Anyone else doing Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy?
 Hello, 
My name is Lisa and I currently weigh 265lbs. I'm not at all happy with this weight. I am looking to get a weight loss surgery done, but I'm not sure of the cost or wait time. I was told a 3yr wait and that's only if I qualify. I read that you only had to paid $5000 and a 1week wait. Was your surgery in Canada? did this cost cover ALL the medical costs?or we're there any hidden charges?

Thank you,
Lisa 
Most Active