Recent Posts

Kitty1975
on 6/26/12 5:42 am, edited 6/26/12 5:45 am - Canada
Topic: RE: It's sure been a long wait!
Congrats you guys! I know how exciting it can be! I had my first session March of 2010. I remember learning about the surgery, asking questions, getting weighed and filing out papers. More or less its an info session. They gave me 6 months to lose 10lbs. Sounds so easy doesnt it? So they denied me surgery and gave me ONE more chance. They gave me two months to lose 20lbs. I thought yeah right thats impossible. But i stuck to it and put my mind in it and lost 24lbs! They then told me i was approved and then the waiting game for the phone call. I was called in December 2010 and was operated on January 6th 2011. Let me tell you its the best thing i have ever done for myself. Good luck on your journey!

PS just anyone know how i can get my ticker back?

what do you wanna be when you grow up little girl? i wanna be a loser and sit on the bench sir! (45 lbs lost pre op) 300lbs starting weight, currently 141lbs! Lowest has been 135lbs and hoping to get back to that.
kimberleyann
on 6/25/12 8:43 pm - Kingston, NS, Canada
congrats you guys for sticking it out.  hopefully the rest of your journey will go quicker. I don't know about the time line in Halifax because I refused to wait 10+ years and went to Mexico, but VSG is the way to go, I am 8 months post op and running my first 5k this Friday. You will do great.

mandy2009
on 6/25/12 5:01 am - Halifax, Canada
 Me too Danielle! I wonder how long the next part of the process will be!
ocean37
on 6/25/12 4:53 am - Lunenburg, Canada
VSG on 02/26/13
Hi Mandy .... I am also going to the July 4th clinic.  I also have my binder all ready and I am sooo excited to get this started!

Danielle
mandy2009
on 6/25/12 2:14 am - Halifax, Canada
Topic: It's sure been a long wait!
Hi

It's been more than a couple of years since I logged into the forum as nothing has been happening... until recently!

My referral was sent to the WLS clinic in 2008 and I am attending my info session on July 4!!!

I've got my binder ready to go, can anyone tell me what to expect there?

Thanks!
KristaB
on 6/16/12 7:26 pm - St Catherines, Canada
Topic: RE: Heading to Mexico!
 My GP is taking care of my post op, however I wasn't given specific instructions on what to have done.  I did my research and it seems like regular bloodwork once a month for 6 months then once a year is all that needed (might want to double check on that though)  I was given a dvd of my surgery, as well as a dvd showing my leak test, as well as instructions for my post op diet.   My pre op diet consisted of three days of jus****er and yogurt.  Not terribly appealing as I'm not a huge yogurt fan, but not the worst either.  Trish has been feeling a little under the weather lately, usually she is very quick in responding to calls or emails.  Love her to bits!  If there's anything else that I could help you with, feel free to let me know!
ywgchick
on 6/16/12 11:10 am
VSG on 05/08/14
That's awesome!!

My biggest concern is post-surgery care. Is your GP taking care of your post-op? Were you given good instructions by Dr Ponce de Leon? Did you get something you could hand over to your Dr for care instructions/test to conduct??

What was your pre-op diet?

I also have found I have a little trouble communicating with Trish. Is it just me?

Sorry! I have lots of questions!!

- Sylvie
KristaB
on 6/16/12 11:06 am - St Catherines, Canada
 Almost forgot, my surgery was on May 10th and I am down almost 40 lbs already!  
KristaB
on 6/16/12 11:05 am - St Catherines, Canada
 Hi Sylvie!  I did go to visit Dr. Ponce in May, and consider it one of the best things I've ever done!  I was terrified on the trip down (never having flown before or had a major surgery before will do that to a girl!)  but once I arrived at the hospital and met Trish, my nerves settled down.  I had some nausea after surgery but very little pain.  Dr. Ponce and all of the staff are excellent to deal with, I'm sure you'll love them!  
ywgchick
on 6/16/12 10:45 am
VSG on 05/08/14
Hi Krista,

I was lurking on your board (I'm from Manitoba) and I saw that you plans to get sleeved by Dr Ponce de Leon in May. Did you go??

I'm thinking of going with him in August but like you said, it seems kind of like an insane thing to do. I guess I just wanted a reassurance that it went well..

-Sylvie
Most Active