Recent Posts

coreena691
on 12/15/10 9:09 pm, edited 12/15/10 9:12 pm - Beaver Bank, Canada
Topic: RE: Anyone else Spacey - Forgetful lately???
As long as I still own my scissors, I'm still stuck doing someone's hair.  LOL  ...can never get away from that profession.

I have always suggested to clients and myself when I lost so much hair and it's thinning to keep the hair layered.  Layers will give you "lift" and not lay flat for the scalp to show through.  Use products like mousse and souffle to give the strands a little extra thickness.  Believe it, a perm will actually make the hair shaft swell and give more fullness too.  

If the thin spot is in the back closer to the neck, you can always have your stylist add a couple extensions to fill in the area.  Bald spots are called "alopecia" and can range from dime size to fist size depending on the disorder.  Stress and malnutrition are major causes.

My hair was extremely thick, and the only thin area now is really in my bang area, so there's not much I can do except to style it in a direction that the layers will cover it.  Like this:  www.hair2009.info/page/2/  (2nd picture of brunette with razored cut)

From what I remember your hair is above shoulders, long layered with bangs right?  I'd suggest short layers and not much off the length (think inverted bob style).  Wear it with flicks and styled "swooped to the side and front".    Here's a link to one style that you could do...  www.short-hairstyles.org.ru/short-hairstyles-for-thin-hair-f or-women.html   (If you really like this type of style, your best bet is to invest into a good flat iron to smooth out your wave).

Have fun exploring some pics and new styles, you'll need one for the "finished product & a new you"!!!
VBG June 1991 - Revision to VSG May 12, 2011

DaniDragonfly
on 12/15/10 9:01 pm - Lockhartville, Canada
Topic: RE: So happy I found this group!
Hmm ... I thought it was you ... maybe it was Deb. It was a veteran - of that I am sure.

Either way, you have been lots of help to me in a time when I have felt somewhat lost (which I don't take kindly to). So thanks - just the same.

A in NS
on 12/15/10 9:00 pm
Topic: Went out for supper...
We picked my father-in-law up at the airport yesterday & we were in Halifax for most of the day, so when it came time to eat, everyone wanted to go to Montanna's so I said fine, I can find something there...  So Jeff and I ordered the chicken fajitas (veggies & chicken - how bad could they make it, right?)  so when I got home & went to do my food log I looked it up - here is what is in ONE fajita:

460 calories
11 g fat (2.5 saturated & .3 TRANS!)
210 cholesterol
2160 mg SODIUM!!!!!! - NOT a typo!!
30 g CARBS!!!!!!
4 g fiber
18 g SUGAR
57 g protein (how the heck did they get that much??)

Needless to say I gained back 1/2 lb (I know, I know, it's water retention, but the scale is still higher!!) and also needless to say I WON'T be going back to Montana's again!!!  Anyway, just wanted to pass that along in case anyone had the same "I can find something" thought that we did!!  Now I won't even feed the doggie bag we brought home to my doggies!!!

So have you found any place decent to eat while out & about (besides Subway, of course!  lol)

Weight lost since surgery:

DaniDragonfly
on 12/15/10 8:58 pm - Lockhartville, Canada
I got both of them on line at Chapters. I actually got them second hand ... which you can do on that site. Shipping is slightly high, but one of those books had never been heard of by the book stores in my area, so it worked out well. I think for both of them, including shipping, it cost around $26.00(ish) it's been a while since I ordered them ... but that's pretty close.

I'm not all the way through either of them yet, but the info and insight they provide is pretty spectacular. I am surprised Diana doesn't recommend them.

Oh, and you are most welcome! (and the comment was sincere.)

A in NS
on 12/15/10 8:43 pm
I'm losing hair by the handful!!  I have a bald spot around my hairline & it's really thinning on top - it wasn't that thick to begin with!!!  AAAAHHHHHH!!!!  I'm trying to figure out what the best hair cut is to cover this up - it's getting pretty thin on top & really noticeable to me    any suggestions for that master hair person??  lol  I think you might have to take up hairdressing again for a minute so you can FIX ME!!!  lol

coreena691
on 12/15/10 8:36 pm, edited 12/15/10 8:36 pm - Beaver Bank, Canada
I remember hearing Deb (NSGALlivingbythesea) refer to it as weightloss ADD, or something to that effect.  So now it's got me thinking there might be some truth to this.  I'll check into it and post any findings.

As far as I know, I don't have any deficiencies, but the hairloss is coming back again too (not much, but noticing it on the counter).  No complaints here though,...still worth every minute of it!!!

A in NS
on 12/15/10 8:29 pm
HA!  My life is one of these moments lately!  lol  I don't think mine is related to the surgery but I do think it might be related to weight loss (though it wasn't rapid weight loss for the 3 years prior to surgery!) and to think, I used to be so smart!!! lmao

I was reading something this morning that said that B vitamin deficiencies could mess with your ability to learn and retain new things (good thing I just read it this morning or I would have forgotten it by now!! lol)  I haven't had any time to look into it any more than that, but let me know if you find anything.  My blood work didn't show any deficiencies but it does seem to have improved since I started taking a B complex. 

ruthann49
on 12/15/10 7:51 pm - Canada
Topic: RE: surgery done
Yahoo your new journey begins! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
coreena691
on 12/15/10 11:07 am, edited 12/15/10 1:38 pm - Beaver Bank, Canada
Topic: Anyone else Spacey - Forgetful lately???
Hey guys,

It's been so long since my last drastic weight loss, I forget....hehe (pardon the pun).  Does anyone else have "moments" of forgetfulness or feeling spacey when trying to spit out a sentence??  Or forget what we're supposed to be doing?

.......Or it could be just that I'm getting OLD!!  Gah!
I do recall having these moments when I first had my surgery.  But wonder am I alone?

coreena691
on 12/15/10 10:58 am - Beaver Bank, Canada
Thanks for your kind words Dani!  I'm glad I can help along with Angie give you all support when needed.  But I can't take the credit for those 2 books.  I don't think it was me, but then again, I'm having a lot of "spacey" moments lately and getting very forgetful Deb (NSGalbythesea) has the same problem.

Keep up the great work everyone!!!!!  We're all in this journey together!

Most Active