Recent Posts

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/10 8:58 am, edited 12/16/10 8:58 am - Canada
Topic: RE: Went out for supper...
On December 16, 2010 at 5:00 AM Pacific Time, AngieCam wrote: We picked my father-in-law up at the airport yesterday & we were in Halifax for most of the day, so when it came time to eat, everyone wanted to go to Montanna's so I said fine, I can find something there...  So Jeff and I ordered the chicken fajitas (veggies & chicken - how bad could they make it, right?)  so when I got home & went to do my food log I looked it up - here is what is in ONE fajita:

460 calories
11 g fat (2.5 saturated & .3 TRANS!)
210 cholesterol
2160 mg SODIUM!!!!!! - NOT a typo!!
30 g CARBS!!!!!!
4 g fiber
18 g SUGAR
57 g protein (how the heck did they get that much??)

Needless to say I gained back 1/2 lb (I know, I know, it's water retention, but the scale is still higher!!) and also needless to say I WON'T be going back to Montana's again!!!  Anyway, just wanted to pass that along in case anyone had the same "I can find something" thought that we did!!  Now I won't even feed the doggie bag we brought home to my doggies!!!

So have you found any place decent to eat while out & about (besides Subway, of course!  lol)

I don't find Subway decent anymore.  Am I missing something?

When I eat out now I usually order a chicken breast or a steak and a veggie.  Most restaurants have that.
coreena691
on 12/16/10 8:46 am - Beaver Bank, Canada
Topic: RE: surgery done
Hang in there Mel.  A lot of us have been through the recovery stage and know how tough it can be.  Just have faith to know this time will pass and you will start to feel better and begin to tolerate food.  It will come faster than you think.  Don't keep thinking ahead, just take this one day at a time.  Listen to your body and get to understand the new sensations and feelings your body is adjusting to.   Learn to appreciate all you've been through and know this is the best thing you could have done to take back a healthy life. 

We're all here for you and are your shoulders to cry on if you need. 

When I had my surgery they did things so slow.  I arrived the day before surgery, and it was 3 days after the operation before I was allowed to even have ice (I was so dry).  Absolutely nothing entered my body by mouth, only IV for that time.  The 4th day, I started with Ice chips, and the 5th day I graduated to jello & broth.  The 6th day I was allowed to go home and start on the semi-liquids.  I was very luck to be able to leave on the 6th day.  A few others had to stay an extra day or two.  They used to do our surgeries in groups, so there was a whole floor designated to us WLS patients at the VG hospital.  The would get us up out of bed and walking the same day after surgery too.  I don't know if you've been up yet, but just go slow.  And sleep is your best medicine right now.

I'm just telling you this to let you know it will get easier and we understand what you're experiencing today.

(((Hugs)))
VBG June 1991 - Revision to VSG May 12, 2011

ruthann49
on 12/16/10 7:24 am - Canada
Topic: RE: Pre-op appointment and surgery date
Wow you must be so excited to have your date! Happy New Year to you!
A in NS
on 12/16/10 7:06 am
Woohoo!!  That's just a couple of weeks - how exciting! 

My pre-op experience was pretty much the same as Capergal - but mine took longer 

Weight lost since surgery:

mlm105
on 12/16/10 5:55 am - Mainland,NS, Canada
Topic: RE: surgery done
Hi Guys and Gals,

Well my surgery was on the 14th  and  they kept me in the hospital today which is an extra day as I was not keeping anything  down at all. Even ice chips. UGHHH. Not gonna lie it has been a rough rode  I face and they say it will be for a while. I am tired alot . Sleeping alot.

No matter how many weeks ou have done the die before your surgery afterwards you are sooooo  dehydrated that you just want to drink and you cant .

I am now feeling a bit  sick to my stomach but  hanging in there.

My depression pills I had to come off for a  few days and also  I may have to  change them due o the release times of them and my new smaller somach...

Thanks for all your concerns.

Someone asked me re my  journey ime: My  family doctor put in for me on May of 2009 ,and went to the Info Session  in March of 2010,filled out physcological evaluaion in June 2010,met the team in Sept and then Dr.Ellsmere in October  and surgery on Dec 14 at Noon.

Mel
CaperGal
on 12/16/10 5:17 am - Sydney Mines, Canada
Congrats on your date. a great start of the new year and a whole new you.

When I went for my pre-op I had to fill out a paper with questions medical. Then I had my EKG done and my blood work. Than I was taken into a room to talk to a nurse. She asked me so many questions about myself and my medical history. Every surgery, meds and allergies. Took a long time to do all this. After this I saw the lady doctor that puts you to sleep. She goes over everything with you like what meds you take the day of surgery.If I was allergic to any meds.That was it.

Except that, that is far as I got cos they had to find out why I had received 4 units of blood in a month and a half. So now I am in a holding place.lol I have to see another doctor in Halifax about that.They think it is my spleen.

Anyway that is all I can remember. It took a little over 3 hours for me. I hope that helped you.
Kitty1975
on 12/15/10 10:49 pm - Canada
Topic: Pre-op appointment and surgery date
So got my call today that my surgery will be January 6th! Meaning my pre op appointment date is the 20th of this month. I guess it will be a great start to a new year. I know theres other threads about what happens at the pre op but i was wondering what all that entails? I am sure its a few hour appointment?

what do you wanna be when you grow up little girl? i wanna be a loser and sit on the bench sir! (45 lbs lost pre op) 300lbs starting weight, currently 141lbs! Lowest has been 135lbs and hoping to get back to that.
coreena691
on 12/15/10 9:40 pm - Beaver Bank, Canada
Topic: Anyone need a winter coat? Blue parka style giving away.
I have a blue winter coat, it's a parka style, size 2X plus size that I can no longer wear.  Very roomy jacket for a size 2X. 

I'm giving it away if anyone is looking for something to just get them through the winter months without having to break the bank & buy something new.

It has inside pockets for your cell phone, etc and an adjustable cord for the waistband.  Nice & warm with a hood.

If anyone wants this just give me a shout!

coreena691
on 12/15/10 9:32 pm - Beaver Bank, Canada
Topic: RE: Went out for supper...
First, when I order from Subway, I get the kids menu (round kaiser bun) and then chuck 1/2 the bread away as I'm eating it.  LMAO

When we dine out, we usually head to Steak N Stein.  I get the Stampede 3oz (two of a kind) boneless rib eye steaks, with either salad or baked potato and sauteed onions.  I eat one of the steaks and hubby gets the other, plus he takes the roll and coleslaw....I eat most of the one steak & onions mainly and pick at the potato or salad last. 

But that's how my procedure allows me to eat!  You could be different with a sleeve.

coreena691
on 12/15/10 9:21 pm - Beaver Bank, Canada
Topic: RE: So happy I found this group!
You're very welcome!!!  I just love hearing your updates and following your successful journey.  Very inspiring to see people getting their lives back.  Keep up the good faith and enjoy the ride! 

Most Active