Recent Posts

coreena691
on 12/16/10 10:07 pm - Beaver Bank, Canada
Topic: RE: Went out for supper...
Message is for Angie. 
(ALL YOU NEWBIES, PLUG YOUR EARS AND SHUT YOUR EYES)!! 

Angie, your right, we are similar except for the chewing....ohhh the damn chewing!!!  Because of that, I can't tolerate very much of a salad....I could chew lettuce all night and look like a cow chewing her cud!  Haha!  I have so many limits with veggies because of chewing issues.  Right now I'm avoiding any chances of food getting stuck.  I had a spell back in the summer and everything was getting stuck to the point I could no longer self induce vomit to get it out.  So I'm just sticking to the foods that are safe all the way around. 

I have only been to subway 2 times in the last year, as I'm not a fan of their food.  We usually go to the store called "Kaisers", if it's "sub-night".  And again, I disect the sandwich by the time I'm finished.  LOL

If it's takeout night, I'll have the topping off a pizza...don't care for the crust anyways.  If it's McD's cause the kids won the battle, I'll settle for a burger from Burger King and just eat the meat, or have a chicken sandwich, minus the bread. I haven't eaten french fries for over 20 years!!!
I don't like bread, and usually only eat bread (whole wheat) at home toasted which is verrrry seldom.  I'm almost 20 yrs out, so my diet needs are like any "normal" person who is eating from a healthy balanced diet, just all in moderation and sensible choices (More like a Weigh****chers diet plan).  I don't usually discuss my meal plans, because it's different than for someone who's new and could confuse them for what's necessary at this point.  I eat my protein first, but there's variety on my plate....just a SMALL PLATE.  Ha! 

At this stage for myself, it's dangerous to go back to the fresh post-op diets.  My body has adapted and I need the nutrition.  (Including complex carbs, fat & fibre)

At home we have a lot of fish/chicken/steak with our meals for supper. I do eat pasta & rice, just not very often and only use Smart pasta, and brown rice. I also have a lot of oatmeal during the day with yogurt and fruit.  (Complex carbs are my brain food).

Angie, Did the clinic give you a couple samples of menus or a list of foods you will have to start eating after so many months out?  Ex.  My diet changed 6mths out from surgery and by then I was on full diet recommemded by a nutritionist.  Three years ago, I was given the same list. 
This is for maintenance and continued life.   So again, I'm only on a reduction diet, with smart choices-so that keeps my calories low.  (I can eat a cookie or chocolate if I want to, but will deal with it after....either keep it or work it off.  I still keep in my mind that food is fuel, so I don't live to eat, just whatever I need to live. 

VBG June 1991 - Revision to VSG May 12, 2011

A in NS
on 12/16/10 9:47 pm
Ohhh - Pete's Frootique - that one never even occurred to me - we don't have one up this way.  I'm going to give that a try next time - thanks Oakley!  :))

Weight lost since surgery:

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/10 9:27 pm - Canada
No, you're not missing anything on Subway.  I got to Pete's Frootique or Sobeys for the salads. 

Debbie T.
on 12/16/10 6:41 pm - Canada
Topic: RE: surgery done
Welcome to the other side Mel. It will get better, I promise. As far as antidepressants have you tried cipralex? Hang in there.
Debbie

Weight lost since surgery
maryja
on 12/16/10 2:58 pm - NS, Canada
Topic: RE: Pre-op appointment and surgery date
Congratulations Kitty!  what a great way to start 2011!! :)

All the best,

MJ :)
MJ
A in NS
on 12/16/10 12:13 pm
I usually just order salad at Subway   :)  I looked on line for the nutritional values at Steak & Stein & couldn't find any - I hate it when I can't find that sort of thing!  I wonder if they have that in the restaurant?  I would probably fill up on the steak and have a couple of bites of the veggies - I usually tell them to keep the potato since I don't want it on my plate to even be tempted to pick at (for now, anyway)  I'm usually pretty good    I'm thinking we pretty much have the same requirements but that you have to be even more careful about chewing than sleevers? 

A in NS
on 12/16/10 12:02 pm
Hmmm, If we're caught out & need to eat somewhere I usually go to Big Stop and get the haddock off the SFL menu or we go to Subway and I get the subway roast chicken made into a salad with the sweet onion sauce as dressing - 170 cal, 20 protein, 19 carbs & 12 g sugar (a little high for me but we rarely eat out).  I stay away from the bread, cold cuts, etc... but now that I read your post I wonder if I am missing something? lol

Yep, that's pretty much what I stick with too, but I hadn't had fajitas in a looooong time & thought they sounded really good - well, they definitely weren't THAT good!!  lol

A in NS
on 12/16/10 11:52 am
So do they think you will have to stop taking effexor completely or just for a while until your stomach heals up some?  I've never heard of them stopping one altogether - not that that means anything! :s  I wonder if effexor has a 'sister' drug that would get you through until you can take it again?

It's good that you're up and about - Coreena is right though, do be sure to try to let your worries go long enough to get sleep - and it will get better and better as your new stomach heals & some of the swelling goes down. 

I had a pretty smooth surgery all in all, but what bothered me is the anesthetic coming out of my system - it makes me very anxious & weepy every time & I worry about things 100x as much - I hate anesthetic for that reason - I'm sure I must seem like a crazy person to anyone who has ever seen me in that state!    Hang in there chicky!!

mlm105
on 12/16/10 11:37 am - Mainland,NS, Canada
 thanks coreena
Yes yesterday was my worst day yet not to bad now . was up walking the first night  not very far. was given fragmin. was up a bit yesterday but very tired. today was downstairs twice. seen pizza piZzA and thought damn that would be good now but really no cravings. 
I am worried about my depression medication effexor xr as the pharmacologist said may have to find a new drug and that is very concerning. that is the only one that works for my depression and have tried many others. so we shall see when talk to my family doctor.
Debbie T.
on 12/16/10 8:58 am - Canada
Topic: RE: Pre-op appointment and surgery date
Fabulous news
Debbie

Weight lost since surgery
Most Active