Recent Posts

KDorey
on 1/20/11 3:46 am - Canada
RNY on 12/14/85
Topic: RE: Any 45+ people out there?
Well, I may not be the oldest to respond to your post - I will be 51 next month - BUT I had my surgery in Dec of 1985 - so I guess that makes me the old-timer.  Life has been great the past 26 years - got married to a great guy, had 4 wonderful children and have a very full and active life.  Have had my ups & downs with my weight over those 26 years but am currently sitting at about 145 lbs (started at 248).  If I had it to do all over again - I would in a heart beat.  Good luck to you.

CaperGal
on 1/20/11 2:36 am - Sydney Mines, Canada
Topic: RE: trying to get started on waitting list any ideas how long??
I think I would be really anxious too if I waited a year to find out if I am even on "the List". I would def. call Diane Lawlor or email her to find out if I was on the "List". There is alot going on with them and they are extremely busy. But give it a try. It may be good news you get. But go on their web site and print out all the stuff for your binder and start reading it and you will be that much ahead. I posted the link in another post here. I don't know if you saw it or not. hope this helps.
DaniDragonfly
on 1/19/11 9:03 pm - Lockhartville, Canada
Topic: RE: Sugery soon??
I thought this was the way it worked, too ... but it isn't. I had a higher BMI, but all in all, I have (thankfully) always been a very healthy person. I almost wonder if that is why I got through as quickly as I did ... less risk.

Trust me when I say ... I TOTALLY understand where you are right now ... the waiting truly bites, but have faith in the system. They are doing a pile of surgeries every week now, and your time will come. Then, once it does ... the wait won't seem like it was really so bad after all (well ... kinda).

Have faith.

DD

coreena691
on 1/19/11 8:33 pm - Beaver Bank, Canada
Topic: RE: Any 45+ people out there?
Angie, you just made my day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
VBG June 1991 - Revision to VSG May 12, 2011

CaperGal
on 1/19/11 11:33 am, edited 1/19/11 11:39 am - Sydney Mines, Canada
I don't think it will take years for you to get the call or letter. But you really have to get your referral in quick. Maybe just maybe you will get in the group for August if there is one than. You can go on their web site and print out all the stuff that you will have to put in a binder and take it with you every time you go to see them. If you do that, you will be well informed when you go to your Doctor.

I think that the surgerys from the Mar. 1st were started in Oct. right through to the middle of Dec. so they probally are getting all of those surgerys done. Than they will be doing the next session from Aug. It is a long pross but worth it in the end. hope this helps.

forgot the web site is:
http://www.cdha.nshealth.ca/default.aspx?page=SubPage¢er Content.Id.0=53280&category.Categories.1=112

kimberleyann
on 1/19/11 9:27 am - Kingston, NS, Canada
CaperGal and Kat_12, thanks for your input. It is good to hear that there is more to being waitlisted than having co-morbidities or not. I still have to wait to see my new doc in early Feb before I can get my referral in but I at least now I understand there is a chance of getting on the list at some point. I have spent the last 20 years packing on the weight I can wait a few years for my name to pop up on a list.

ruthann49
on 1/19/11 9:24 am - Canada
That's great news!

Kat_12
on 1/19/11 8:24 am - Halifax, Canada
For those waiting, i just wanted to throw it out there that I had no co-morbidities, and was chosen for that reason...they do include 'saveables' in each group (people they can prevent from getting diabetes, HBP etc.)

CaperGal
on 1/18/11 9:47 pm - Sydney Mines, Canada

It seems to me that they take people with apnea first. That was one of the first questions they asked me about. I don't have it. I have a very high BMI, Diabetes, (controlled) high blood pressure(controlled) I have no idea about the list or how it works but I think you would be better off calling Diane Lawlor and ask her about it. She is the best one to call and ask the questions you are reffering to. Has your referral been sent yet. There is a long list but it is more than who needs it more.

kimberleyann
on 1/18/11 8:48 pm - Kingston, NS, Canada
This is all great information. I assume those in the most need of surgery get the invite and there is quite a list besides them that didn't get on the last seminar, that they would most likely be up next. I wonder what criteria is used to determine those in the most need.  If for example one is a BMI of 40 but has no other comorbidities, is up against another BMI of 40 with diabetis or hypertension I would assume the person with comorbidities would place higher on the list.  So would the bmi of 40 with no comorbidities just keep getting bumped down the list with all the new people requesting a referral. So at what point would the BMI of 40 get invited, would they have to start having problems/comorbidities before they get seen? Just pondering if I even stand a chance to get on list when my referral gets to the office.

Most Active