Recent Posts

Carly ~
on 1/24/11 10:39 am
Topic: RE: Any 45+ people out there?
I'm 39, will be 40 in August -- but decided I will begin to celebrate my birthdays backwards.  So in August I'll be 38!  Shhhhh... it'll be our lil' secret  = )
Kitty1975
on 1/24/11 10:27 am - Canada
Topic: RE: Where is everyone??
I am still dealing with my nausea praying that it goes away soon. :-(

what do you wanna be when you grow up little girl? i wanna be a loser and sit on the bench sir! (45 lbs lost pre op) 300lbs starting weight, currently 141lbs! Lowest has been 135lbs and hoping to get back to that.
ruthann49
on 1/24/11 9:50 am - Canada
Topic: Where is everyone??
OK I know there must be someone out there who is soon to have surgery or just had surgery! We need all the info both the good and bad.The waiting list is very long so there must be someone having surgery. Please post soon!

Anxiously_Waiting
on 1/24/11 7:14 am
Topic: RE: trying to get started on waitting list any ideas how long??

Dear Caper Girl,

I have printed off the material on their website.  I've also decided that since it could be two years to try WW again.  I0 years ago I lost 56 lbs. but I've since gained it all back and then some.  I know if I loose some weight the surgery will be easier.  Also, I know that activity would be easier as well...it's a visious circle.  I just know that I could do it with the assistance of the gastric sleeve...some of us need that extra help in order to succeed.  I will try to keep on the positive side though.  Thanks for your encouragement.

Anxiously Waiting

CaperGal
on 1/24/11 2:51 am - Sydney Mines, Canada

good day and what a cold day it is. -15 wow that is the coldest the lowest temp yet for this winter. I have to go to the drug store and T Zone vibrations and I hate the thought of going out. brrrrr

Anyway sussmack if you went to the session in Aug. didn't they tell everyone that it would be at least 6 months before you hear from them? They told my group that and it took almost 7 months before I got the call to go meet the "Team" And when I went there was 3 people that talked to me for over an hour and then they asked me to leave the room so they could talk. When they came and got me they said they were putting me through and thought I would be a good candiate for the surgery. They told me to try and loose some wait before I met with Doctor Ellsmere. So you are right on target with that and it will go good for you to loose the weight you lost. They like to see that cos it proves you can do it. so don't worry so much, they will be calling you soon.

sussmack2004
on 1/23/11 10:18 pm
Good Monday morning to you! It sure is a cold one today!
I don't want to discourage you at all, but I had a long wait to get in to the group session. I believe that my doctor referred me in 2008 and I got a phone call in June 2010 asking if I was still interested. I went to the group session in August 2010. Since then I have done everything (?) they asked. Cut out caffeine, gum, white bread, potatoes (for the most part), white pasta, I have trialed the liquid diet, as well as tried different protein drinks. I also have been walking and doing Wii Fit some. I have lost 33 lbs since mid August and so far I have not heard anything at all from the clinic. My doctor is very happy with my weight loss and I am struggling along. Like you the most I have ever lost on my own was 40 lbs, and then I managed to find it all again. I am really hoping that this time is the one where I can keep it off!
I am trying to be patient and wait for the call that it will be my turn.
Try to keep positive though I know that it is hard sometimes.
Good luck, Susan

susanpalmer
on 1/23/11 9:40 pm - annapolis county, Canada
Hello everyone. Monday morning and still have not heard anything. I have been trying to loose weight on my own and it is a constant struggle have lost 11lb since the beginning of dec. If i loose weight and my turn comes around will they still look at me for surgery would like to loose 120lb all together and the most i have ever done on my own is 50lb. Am i messing with my chances if i loose too much weight on my own i know i can not reach my gole without help. what do they tell you when you get on the list.  
kimberleyann
on 1/23/11 8:45 pm - Kingston, NS, Canada
Topic: RE: New Year's Resolutions!

I am waiting to see my Doc to get my referral, but am inspired by the people on this forum. I too have cut back hugely on my Diet Pepsi consumption, from 4 or more cans a day to 1 maybe once a week. And even then I start a can and usually don't fini**** We have gone low sodium, no salt and added way more veggies to our diet. My hubby is a normal weight and active so for him it is about maintaining his "figure" as he puts it LOL. The intent is not so much to change diet right now in the New Year as it is to add more exercise. But after a 8 hour work day on my feet and up and down stairs by the end of day I am too tired and sore to do too much. My hubby gave me a Wii fit for my Birthday early Jan so I am doing Wii fitness evenings about 30-40 minutes. I hope as weight comes off exercise gets easier and or more enjoyable. And once winter is done can get out and do hike at Cape Split. 

A in NS
on 1/23/11 7:13 am
Before I had surgery I cut out everything white - bread, sugar & pasta - and replaced it all with whole wheat.  I find the trick is replacing the stuff you eat everyday with healthier things that still taste good - let's face it, if it doesn't taste good we won't do it for long! 

We had a protein shake tasting at one of our support group meetings   :)

Weight lost since surgery:

CaperGal
on 1/23/11 7:07 am - Sydney Mines, Canada
hi, I am proud to say that I gave up Pepsi on Mar. 1st. 2010 when I left the 1st. meeting in Halifax. They said to stop drinking all pop but esp. pepsi and coke and diet pepsi and diet coke. Dark pop is so bad for you. I would drink gingerale and orange or 7up but I got off all pop last summer.

I decided to try the boost and ensure and I find it to be good. And something I never ate before, yogurt, I put about 2 cups of ice in a blender add the boost and yogurt and protein powder and blend and drink. It makes quite a bit and it counts as 3 cups of fluids. I sometimes add a banana or frozen berries too.

You could try different kinds of boost or ensure or whatever to see which ones you will be drinking after and before your operation. I know everyone says they don't like it but you can try it and make it your own way. I drink sugarfree juice too. and water.
Most Active