Recent Posts

A in NS
on 1/25/11 10:52 am
Topic: Who woulda thunk it!?
I am thinking about entering a marathon!  You can run or walk - there is a 5k, 10k, half marathon (21k) and full marathon (42k) - I'm thinking I will enter the 5k and probably do a mix of walking & running...  I can walk it, but not sure how much I can run (ok, let's get real here - not run, but jog/jiggle!)  It's the Blue Nose Marathon in Halifax this May for Team Diabetes.  I'm thinking it will give me a goal & something to think about other than the last 20 or 30 lbs I have to lose PLUS it will raise money for a good cause - you have to raise $395 to enter the marathon.  As an added bonus they give you a trainer from 'The Running Room' in Halifax (but you can do it on line too).  Any thoughts?  Anyone want to enter along with me?  Anyone want to tell me how foolish I am for even considering it??  lol

Weight lost since surgery:

A in NS
on 1/25/11 10:38 am
Topic: RE: Where is everyone??
"my boobs are like torpedos that are pointing to blow up the floor...." 

LMAO!!!!   
Thanks - I needed that!!!  lol

Weight lost since surgery:

Carly ~
on 1/25/11 10:36 am, edited 1/25/11 10:41 am
Topic: RE: trying to get started on waitting list any ideas how long??

There's no way I could self-pay, so I'm stuck waiting.
Sleep apnea may be something they look at, and I have severe chronic obstuctive sleep apnea. I have at least 1 apnea per minute where I stop breathing for at least 10 secs or more, but all my conditions are not enough to put me on the primary list.
Some people have been fortunate enough to be chosen from the secondary list, with no co-morbidities, but that is not the norm.
The surgeon I was originally referred to - in the beginning I was 450th on the list, when he moved and stopped doing surgeries in Halifax, I was down in the 30s or less.
Then we went without surgery here, and I didn't realize you could be referred out of province and paid by MSI or I would have in a heartbeat.
Now it's open here, the province told me they won't pay out of province because it's something offered here. It's been a wild goose chase for sure, but in the end, the pay off will be worth the wait.
Just wanted you to know it isn't as easy as it seems. Someone without diabetes or heart disease, being called for a group session and having the surgery a year or two after being referred is not the norm.
Thanks for the encouraging words ladies! I'm still holding on...

Kat_12
on 1/25/11 9:45 am - Halifax, Canada
My surgery was 2 months ago today.  I was on the list for a little over a year, and had NO comorbidities.  Recovery was pretty smooth, no real nausea, was able to get my min water and protein in by 4 days after surgery.  I am sick to death of protein shakes, but it is the easiest breakfast for me, so I do choke them down most days (i am not adventurous with food, so stick to the same one from Costco).  I probably snuck up to the next food level a little early each time, but no issues.  i can tolerate everything so far, but only about 2oz protein at a time.  many a night i measure out the 2oz, with some veg, eat half, then finish the rest a few hours later.  Weight loss?  slow, lol!  but, i have PCOS and was put on throid meds a few weeks after surgery, so i think that will just be my way.  Better than gaining, right?  very worried about the hair loss!!  i have been taking Biotin 2x day for months, hoping to offset the loss with new growth.  So far, not really helping, but you should see my long, strong fingernails, whoohoo!!

Kat_12
on 1/25/11 9:44 am - Halifax, Canada
ruthann49
on 1/25/11 8:15 am - Canada
Topic: RE: trying to get started on waitting list any ideas how long??
!2 years that's cruel and unusal punishment!! If I were you I would def. look into going away and self-pay.While you are saving they may call you and you'll be ahead money wise.You can't put your life on hold forever! The cut off age is 65 so I can't even consider waiting that long!! Best of luck with your journey.
PS I thought sleep apnea was one of the things they looked at??

ruthann49
on 1/25/11 8:00 am - Canada
Thanks for the info nuts, it's good to know the good and the bad! Did you really wait 8 years before they called you? I thought I read that somewhere, I hope I read it wrong.I'm 49 now and I can't wait 8 years!!  I joined WW last week and lost one measley pound.It's all about money now with that program.There used to be a free slider to figure out your points now they have changed the whole point system and you have to buy a calculator to figure it out.Anyway I'll keep on trying I swear the whole town of Amherst has joined lol . My husband was going to join with me but took one look at all those woman and left!! haha
Before joining this forum I had given up on my dream of being"normal" but now I have hope that this surgery will be the right tool to help.
Anyway have a good week and keep in touch.

imaybenuts
on 1/25/11 6:19 am - Canada
Topic: RE: Referrals
I CAN NOT TELL U WHAT TO DO BUT.... I WAS ON WAITING LIST FOR 8 YEARS.... IT WAS WORTH IT..DR ELLSMERE WAS GREAT..NOT TO METION HANDSOME! I HAVE NO REGRETS... HE HAS ONLY HAD ONE LEAK AND ONE INFECTION.... OUT OF A FEW HUNDRED I THINK... I CHECKED THE STATISTICS OF A DR IN NB... AND DID NOT LIKE WHAT I FOUND OUT...I WOULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN WITH ELLSMERE IN A MIN... THE WHOLE TEAM IS GREAT..THEY'VE TAUGHT ME ALOT! WHAT EVER U CHOOSE IM SURE WILL BE THE RIGHT DECISION FOR YOU! GOOD LUCK DOLL

30 lbs lost pre op

imaybenuts
on 1/25/11 6:06 am - Canada
ya i had hair loss... just starting to grow back now...it wasnt too bad though just really thin.... i had a really hard time drinking .... still cant drink the way i use to... and myself that was the hardest part of whole operation..... i can eat anything...ive never been sick. potatoes.... are really heavy.... make me feel a little uncomfortable.... so i dont usually eat them...havent touched cream soup since liquid diet..i was on it for soo long that i hate them...lol..ieat alot of chicken,turkey fish..pita pizzas,slad,chilli, yogart fruit, still trying to find diff recipes .i fight to exercise i hate it...alot! but i do it...did i mention i hate it.....? i find i really am boney...but still ffat..lol when i sit in tub my ass has no cushion so its boney.... my boobs are like torpedos that are pointing to blow up the floor....ASK ME IF I HAVE ANY REGRETS AND WOULD I DO IT AGAIN....HELL YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I FEEL GREAT..IM STILL NOT SMALL BUT I AM HAPPY.. IF I STAY THIS SIZE I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER!

30 lbs lost pre op

ruthann49
on 1/25/11 5:24 am - Canada
I find reading other people's experiences helpful such as what they ate after surgery, what problems to expect etc. I go on the Ontario forum alot but most people have had RNY in that Province. Do you experience hair loss with this surgery?

Thinking of you Kitty hoping you are feeling better!

Most Active