Recent Posts

coreena691
on 1/26/11 1:32 am - Beaver Bank, Canada
Topic: RE: Referrals
Congrats to you for losing 23 lbs since Christmas!!!  That's quite a task! 

Don't lose your hope, keep on with the good work, and hang in there!
VBG June 1991 - Revision to VSG May 12, 2011

sasmom
on 1/26/11 1:26 am - Stellarton, Canada
Thanks guys!  Makes me feel a little better!  I guess you kinda lose hopes sometimes looking at the big picture.. But on a brighter note I have been going to the gym for 6 days a week for the last two weeks (our YMCA offered a 12 week resolution program) and I have lost 5 pounds in the first week!  YAY!  I had gained since my initial doctor's referral back in October and was up to 300 pounds and now am down to 277 for a total of 23 pounds down since Christmas!  This makes me happy!!!!
kimberleyann
on 1/26/11 1:21 am - Kingston, NS, Canada
Topic: RE: supper suggestions?
can u eat sweet potatoes? They are full of fiber and antioxidants and loads of good stuff. The natural sweetnes will pair with ham very well. easy to do bake in oven till soft, remove from skins and mash, a small bit of olive oil to help body absorb the goodnes is all I use, I find they don't need anything else.

kimberleyann
on 1/26/11 1:16 am - Kingston, NS, Canada
Topic: RE: Where is everyone??
great info, thanks for sharing.

DaniDragonfly
on 1/26/11 1:09 am - Lockhartville, Canada
Unless the list has grown by leaps and bounds, I have my doubts it'll take 2 years.

Hang in there.
DaniDragonfly
on 1/26/11 1:06 am - Lockhartville, Canada
Topic: RE: Where is everyone??
I waited 14 months from my referral to surgery. It seemed like 14 years, but really it wasn't all that long.

I am 10 weeks out (yesterday) and overall feel pretty good. I have lost 62 lbs (nothing in the last 8 days ) .

My biggest complaint at this stage is that EVERYTHING that I put into my body causes discomfort. Especially water. I have taken to drinking ho****er just to try and get around the discomfort that cold or cool water brings. I am actually starting to think there may be something not quite right in my new tummy.

I am supposed to see Dr Ellsmere tomorrow afternoon, but with 30 cms of snow forecast for the next 15 - 20 hours ... I am not so sure that's going to happen.

Here's the good, the bad and the ugly from my perspective:
I FREAKING HATE to exercise just for the sake of exercising ... however ... set me loose on my house and I am a new woman. I can move, I can bend, stretch ... my back doesn't hurt, I don't have to stop and rest all the time ... It is WONDERFUL! When I was still off work, I accomplished so many projects around my house, it was awesome!

I always loved my water ... have pretty well always (well, for the past three or so years) consumed almost primarily water (well ... and a coffee in the am ... and some alchy-hol on the weekends) but now ... I can't drink it without major discomfort - this makes getting enough fluid a little *****allenging. Not to mention the fact that I am always thirsty. Coffee is a no no for me ... hurts too much now. I drink a lot of caffiene free green tea (Tetley Mojito is really good). That tends to sooth the beast (my tummy) after a meal if sipped very slowly.

My chief complaint is the disconnection between what my brain and mouth want and what my tummy can handle/body needs. This is hard to wrap your bean around and likely the biggest reason for failure (in the long term). Plus, not being able to have a couple of drinks on a weekend bugs me, but is the price I must pay.

As to the protein shakes ... I still use them for breakfast. It is easy for me to miss brekkie if I don't force something in there and these just seem to be the easiest solution. I do not experience discomfort with these ... so perhaps I am not chewing quite enough ... or something. I usually eat my meals over a min of two 'sittings'. For lunch today, I have chicken breast cut up small and some shredded cheese (low fat) with low fat Helmans on naan crisps. I ate roughly 3 TBSPs and am so full, I want to cry. But in two hours, I'll be famished again and likely have a little more.

You have to get really in tune with your system. I think that has been the most important lesson for me.

imaybenuts
on 1/25/11 11:12 pm - Canada
Topic: supper suggestions?
having a time with super meals lately....
if u where having ham .... what would u have with it?
any casserol ideas..?
U GUYS MUST HAVE SOME FAVS
ANYTHINGGGGGGGGGG??????? I NEEED SOMETHING DELISH.

30 lbs lost pre op

coreena691
on 1/25/11 11:01 pm - Beaver Bank, Canada
Topic: RE: Exercising?
I started walking short distances and gradually went further by the end of my first week home.  Take it easy and listen to your body, it will tell you when you've had enough.  Angie gave a great idea to go to a park or mall where there's benches to take breaks.  Main thing is don't overdo it! 

You're on you way girl!!!! 

coreena691
on 1/25/11 10:58 pm, edited 1/26/11 12:11 am - Beaver Bank, Canada
Topic: RE: Who woulda thunk it!?
Oakley,

That's fantastic that you're doing the 10K and going to run part of it (I'm thinking of doing the 10K too)!!!  
Right now, I'm lucky if I can run to the next telephone pole...........gotta get lots of practice  and build up my endurance to do my first Marathon!!! 

coreena691
on 1/25/11 10:54 pm, edited 1/26/11 12:09 am - Beaver Bank, Canada
Topic: RE: Who woulda thunk it!?
*ME, ME, MEEE!!.......I'LL JOIN YOU!!! 

I've been wanting to do something crazy like this and what a perfect time to join you. 
I'll sign up for the Bluenose Marathon, I'm thinking of doing the 10k walk/run...

WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!

Most Active