Recent Posts

A in NS
on 1/30/11 4:50 am
Topic: RE: Looking for an ice cream fix?
Mmmmm those sound good Deb!  I was looking for something just to help me get some fluids in - it wasn't supposed to have any calories but it didn't taste all that great without the milk - I think I will try it with some almond breeze next time though...  Got any suggestions for very low cal slushies?  I have tried crystal light with ice in the blender but it didn't turn out all that great.  I can't find any of the Davinci syrups - I've looked several times but no luck  :(

Weight lost since surgery:

FancyRoses
on 1/30/11 3:26 am - Lower Sackville, Canada
Topic: RE: Referrals
Newbie here so can you tell me where in Nova Scotia the do any and what operations?  where is this DR ELLSMERE at?  handsome and smart hummm a girl can dreamm LOL  but on the serious side how long is the waiting list once referred?
My goals to a healthy me            
ruthann49
on 1/30/11 3:11 am - Canada
Topic: heparin shots??
Hi all,

I go on the Ontario forum alot and they are discussing the heparin shots after surgery Are we required to have these in NS? I'm hoping so since I'm scared to death of having a blood clot. Last year a 40 year old lady died here in Amherst after WLS done by Dr. MacDonald. I believe she died of a blood clot!!

CANADIAN GASTRIC
CHICKY

on 1/29/11 11:25 am - Canada
Angie

I own a magic bullet and find I can do slushy but not ice-creamy enough.

So I chk'd with a few people and they suggested I do my icecream wanna be drinks in a Ninja- I got it at Canadian Tire.

So what I do to make my faux icecream is turn my protein shake into a frozen delight!

My fave is taking a Vanilla protein powder to this I add a cup of frozen raspberries- some almond breeze milk and Raspberry SF Davinci Syrup- and to this I will add Vanilla SF/FF pudding powder to help thicken it I dont measure probably about a teaspoon. I also toss in come coconut but its cause I love Raspberry/Coconut Squares and this combo hits the spot!

So the Ninja its a larger container then my Bullet indv. glass servings but it comes out like soft serve ice cream - if I want it a lil more frozen I put it in the freezer for about 10  minutes- this is about 2 cups serving - but all added up its still a protein fruit smoothy so I dont worry about measuring and just enjoy as much as I want at a sitting- if there is any left over I will eat it later- find it gets to hard overnight.

I have done blueberry flave and strawberry- I make a choc. coconut protein shake that I can make like a Flurry texture. The trick is the frozen berries- so right now the berry flave is what I have been having.

Have you chk'd out Eggface and her protein Ice Cream recipes- they get rave reviews - I got an icecream maker for Christmas but havent started using it cause I am in love with my Ninja!

Ok now I gotta go make some !

deb

STARTING 2010 WITH A BANG! 160 LBS LOST!

WLS JOURNEY: HW-292/SW-273/CW-132-GOAL 125LBS
        WHO WOULD HAVE THUNK IT - ME - 132 LBS ! omg

- Happy to be Brenda B's angel !

ruthann49
on 1/29/11 9:55 am - Canada
Thanks for sharing!

A in NS
on 1/29/11 9:03 am
Topic: Looking for an ice cream fix?
I found a recipe for a coffee slushy & modified it a little:

1 Tbsp. Instant Coffee, any variety 1/2 cup skim milk 2 Tbsp.  Splenda
1 Tbsp. s.f. chocolate pudding powder 

Place ingredients in blender & blend
then add 1 cup  ice cubes  and blend on high speed until ice is crushed.  
It's a nice treat when your looking for something different!!  I am thinking it would be pretty easy to make lots of different flavors too - banana & chocolate, peanuts & chocolate, coffee & vanilla...  I added enough ice to make it the consistency of a frosty.  Anyway, I enjoyed it so much that I thought I would share!  :)

ruthann49
on 1/29/11 1:45 am - Canada
Topic: RE: How long did it hurt?
Hopefully you will get some answers on Thursday! Hope you are feeling better soon!  You are doing great in the weight loss department!!

Kitty1975
on 1/28/11 10:33 pm - Canada
Topic: RE: Pork rinds?
haha I feel the same way about soup, cant even stand the smell now!

what do you wanna be when you grow up little girl? i wanna be a loser and sit on the bench sir! (45 lbs lost pre op) 300lbs starting weight, currently 141lbs! Lowest has been 135lbs and hoping to get back to that.
DaniDragonfly
on 1/28/11 9:57 pm - Lockhartville, Canada
Topic: RE: How long did it hurt?
Well ... like in the mornings, I experience a "burnt" sort of feeling. Like there had been a campfire in my stomach the night before and now it was cold char ... not acid ... just a burnt feeling.

I am kind of afraid to eat, so I put it off as long as possible ... which makes me REALLY hungry ... but then, when I eat, I wind up full, yes ... but more than that ... it actually hurts ... for a while. Then, right about when it stops hurting - BOOM! I am hungry again.

This is particularly bad when I am at work and attempting to eat lunch. I would say that is my worst meal ... though the evening meal has been known to throw my system into a tizzy, too. I'm pretty careful about what I am eating still ... but pretty much anything other than soup causes me substantial discomfort ... and I am pretty tired of soup. :(

I am supposed to see Dr Ellsmere next Thursday ... I guess I'll ask him what his thoughts are.

A in NS
on 1/28/11 9:54 pm
Topic: RE: Pork rinds?
Hi Kimberleyann,

I'm certainly no expert, but for me it's not really the calories in the sweet potato, though they are a bit high, it's the 41g of carbs.  The way it was explained to me is that your body will burn available carbs in your body before it will burn stored fat, so if you have lots of carbs available for it, it takes a long time for it to get around to burning the fat.  That's why I am mindful about the carbs...  Having said that, if you follow all of the rules and eat your protein first, then no, you can't eat very many (although I love them so much that I would pick at them all day).  I try to keep my carb count between 40 - 80 g for the day while I'm still trying to lose... 

But if you're going to have carbs then sweet potatoes are an awesome choice because of all of the things you pointed out... 

Does this explain my concern with them?  

Most Active