Recent Posts

kim_pei
on 9/2/13 2:33 pm - Canada
Topic: RE: Got my date -

I saw that there are  groups on facebook...do you mind if I ask what they are as I am looking for them for support...thanks

IslandMomma
on 9/2/13 9:10 am - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 05/10/12
Topic: RE: Coffee Time in PEI.....

I will see how everyone else is for time...usually we meet on a weekday at the Robins close to Walmart...but we will see...I will let you know...have you had surgery??  In NS??  

Tracey

bunjiesmomma
on 9/2/13 8:57 am
RNY on 03/01/13
Topic: RE: Coffee Time in PEI.....

Hi Tracey, would love to meet some for coffee maybe saturday if that works just let me know.kiss

IslandMomma
on 9/1/13 10:42 pm - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 05/10/12
Topic: Coffee Time in PEI.....

Okay girls & boys...summer is over, time to get out and meet old firends....AND we have a new-be wanting to meet up with a few of us for support....message me a good time to meet and we can get this going....

Tracey

nsblue
on 9/1/13 2:23 pm - Brookfield. NS, Canada
Topic: RE: Getting Frustrated with the Wait

Referrals to Dr Ellsmere via medical conditions are a bit different than your usual doc referral for WLS.... and all are placed on the waitlist according to their degree of core morbidities etc  If Dr Ellsmere said 2 years you are fortunate for the normal waitlist is 10 years. 

I seen Ellsmere Feb 2011... my referral went in in sept 2010.. My gut was fully outside my abdominal wall and had high blood pressure and diabetes (on 170 units of insulin daily). I had lost 170 before seeing him and he looked at me and asked if I was committed to this....when i said yes, He said he was going to put me into their WLP, i should lose 30lbs and he would do WLS. I had lost the 30lbs in 2 months...but I had to go through their WLP before being approved for surgery...it was frustrating waiting but tis the way it works.  9 months later and 200 more pounds gone, I had surgery.

If you have seen Ellsmere already...they have your name.I am sure you leaving messages at his office they have been reminded of your name and are in the line up... but that line up they do not give out over the phone at all.. You will get a letter when your name is put into the roster for the info session...that comes first and there usually is 2 or more info sessions a year. Once u have that letter then you go through the WLP and once approved by the program and have your one on one the team, wls is swift...

you can read up on their wlp on-line... http://www.cdha.nshealth.ca/obesity-network

nsblue
on 9/1/13 2:02 pm - Brookfield. NS, Canada
Topic: RE: Out of Province Coverage

Hope all goes well with you. It is a bugger sometimes trying to get MSI to cover anything out of province... hell even in province lol. I do know there is a Dr MacDonald in Amherst that does revisions but you need your family doctor to do a referral. n Yeah.. Dr Ellsmere will not touch anyone who has had WLS before. Also remember... if any surgery is done outside NS it is a bugger to find a doc/surgeon to do follow up care after the fact.

nsblue
on 9/1/13 1:42 pm - Brookfield. NS, Canada
Topic: RE: Has anyone had the surgery, and not done great with the "pre-diets"??

When I met with Dr Ellsmere I was over the max BMI needed for WLS. I had been dieting for 18 months previous on a diabetic diet and had lost over 170 lbs. He looked at me and asked me how committed I was to this.... it really hit me... pissed me off really ... for I felt I was committed and dieting ...having lost over 170 lbs already. BUT after going home and reading all they had on their program, I knew I wasn't committed as I needed to be. I went home, fine tuned my diet, started walking and in 9 months before surgery lost 200 more pounds. 

Remember, surgery is only a tool... it helps.... but them taking 80% of your stomach doesn't remove the behaviors and issues one has with food.  Sometimes I think a lobotomy is needed LOL. Losing weight is alot of hard work with or without surgery...alot of mental work that definitely isnt overnight... I am still working on the head part... and probably will for the rest of my life. 

Failure is something a morbidly obese person has ingrained in them... that they can't.. they will never, it's hopeless. etc etc... but it's the repeated lies we tell ourselves and that keeps us in a cycle of self loathing and fat thinking. Change your mind....change your outlook...change your life.....

It's a hard long journey.... but YOU CAN and WILL .... keep positive, stay focused, be HONEST with yourself and do what the program says that your surgeon gives and you will get there. Look for help on the issues you need help with... eg the head part... and you will get there.......

Lordhelpme
on 8/28/13 9:36 pm
Topic: Has anyone had the surgery, and not done great with the "pre-diets"??

I've had a horrific time, sticking to the damn diets, kinda the reason I'm here now....  Has anyone else had this problem, and still had the surgery??

llLou
on 8/21/13 12:24 pm - Halifax NS, Canada

I went to Dr. Kelly for my VSG in Nov.2012 after being on the wait list here for 3 years with 7 more to wait.

I had a very positive experience. I am a nurse and I took my friend who is a nurse with me. We were both very impressed. We were treated like gold.

Dr. Kelly is a very experienced surgeon. He was born in the USA and speaks perfect English. His entire staff is terrific.

If you have any questions for me or need his office numbers just message me. Good Luck!  Linda

Jackie00
on 8/16/13 12:18 pm
Sorry I cannot recommend any other surgeons. After my research fir a ling period of time I wouldn't use anyone but Dr Kelly. DR ponce does not speak english but has interpreters.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

Most Active