Recent Posts

KRS2014
on 5/12/15 7:29 am
with
Topic: RE: Going to mexico for DS

That is so exciting! I remember feeling so nervous about it all and then a calm just came over me as I realized I really needed to do this for myself and my young daughter who needed her mom to be around. I wasn't able to do anything fun with her and run around. My weight held me back and I didn't quite realize it until now. I am so excited for this summer. It's the first time in her 4 years of life that I can actually participate in activities with my daughter and take her on rides at the amusement park that I always avoided due to my weight. I used to make her father go on the rides and chase after her because I couldn't but he passed away so now I need to step up and do it myself. The weight loss has definitely helped me to keep up with her. It is a new life for me and I have no regrets. I would go back to Mexico in a heartbeat and do it all again. I made really great friends while I was there and you really become a family with others having surgery at the same time as you.

Best of luck to you! Your time is almost here!!!!

KRS2014
on 5/12/15 7:22 am
with
Topic: RE: 4 months since VSG in Mexico! No regrets!

I ended up choosing Dr. Alejandro Lopez with the Mexico Bariatric Centre. He came highly recommended by many people I asked on Facebook in various WLS groups. I contacted another centre at first called A Lighter Me and almost booked with them but I found the coordinator rather pushy and like they were simply interested in my money. Once I contacted Dr. Lopez's office I felt in my gut that it was the right choice. I ultimately chose him because he teaches or has taught many of the other surgeons how to do the procedure that I was going for. He answered all my questions and I felt comfortable going with him. My criteria was that the doctor spoke English, that he came highyl recommended, that I could speak directly to some of his patients, that his hospital was clean, that he only did a few surgeries a day, etc. He met all my requirements and then some. We have since become friends on Facebook and he keeps up with my progress which is really nice. I know he and his staff are always there for me if I have any questions or concerns at all.

Good luck! I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever with this surgery and would do it again in a heartbeat.

skippyroo
on 5/10/15 10:29 am - Halifax, Canada

That is awesome I am so happy it has improved. I have GERD and sleep apnea and now I am having severe breathing problems. I can not stand for very long and cannot walk far. If i do not do this I know I will die soon. I know their are huge risks doing this but the alternative is death anyway. Thanks so much for writing to me I very much appreciate it. Congratulations to you on your progress I know it is not an easy path.

Hugs to you

Sarah

Glasspears
on 5/10/15 8:25 am
Topic: RE: 4 months since VSG in Mexico! No regrets!

Would you mind sharing which center and surgeon you chose? It seems to me that the majority of surgeons in Mexico are so experienced, it would be hard to choose one that wasn't excellent. What were some of your criteria when researching and what made you ultimately choose who you did?

I work in the insurance industry and after trying and researching, I see that I'm not going to get a prior authorization approved (not enough co-morbids and BMI not quite high enough).

Congrats on moving forward with this process. I'm very much wanting to do the same. :-)  

Be brave with your life.

DustyB
on 5/10/15 8:09 am - Canada

I know all about it.  Was referred in 2010 and needed surgery or die so I didn't want to wait until it was worse.  I couldn't eat hardly anything due to extreme GERD.  Looked into Mexico but was really afraid to go 2 countries away and back and then after care.  With the cost of surgery + flights + dollar exchange I came to my decision to pay more and have surgery in Canada.  Self-paid RNY with Dr Gagner in Montreal.  He and his staff were great.  He is one of the best.  Everyone has to make their own decision.

My health has greatly improved.

skippyroo
on 5/9/15 10:56 pm - Halifax, Canada

Thank you it is booked for the 5th June .

skippyroo
on 5/9/15 10:56 pm - Halifax, Canada

Thanks for replying yes Halifax is no longer doing weight loss surgery and when it was the wait was 10 years. I guess we are bottom of the list. it is scary to have to go to a country you do not know but there is no choice. I thought we had a support group in Halifax but I cannot find it.

DustyB
on 5/9/15 8:04 pm - Canada

It's a shame you have to leave the country for needed surgery.  Good Luck !

KRS2014
on 4/28/15 4:44 am
with
Topic: RE: New to this forum!

Hi Nessa,

Let me know what questions I can answer. I seriously love my sleeve and would have this surgery again in a heartbeat. It has allowed me to do so much more than I ever imagined. I'm looking forward to going on amusement park rides with my daughter this summer which will be a first for me. I was always too big and too scared of getting stuck on the ride or being told I was too big to go.

I haven't had any issues at all with my sleeve and am not sick in any way. I have energy and I'm training for my first 5K :)

Good luck!!

KRS2014
on 4/28/15 4:40 am
with

Best of luck on your surgery! Keep us posted :)

Most Active