Maritimer Going For Gold

Mac-Donald
on 3/5/06 5:38 am - Somewhere in, Canada
Hi All: I've been fighting the weight battle most of my life in one way or another and now, after much researching, I've got a date for Lap Band Surgery with Dr. Cobourn on May 5th and need lots of encouragement. It is exciting but "scary" at the same time.....Please write with your experiences. Thanks.
debbietlc
on 3/8/06 3:50 am - Glace Bay, Canada
Hi Barb, I don't have any experience in any type of surgery for obesity but I have alot of experience in being obese. I hope your surgery goes well and you receive all you are looking for. May I ask you where is Dr. Cobourn office located at. I am currently looking for a Dr. who is close to my home in Sydney, NS. Also a Maritimer. Once again, I wish you all the best. Debbie
paramedic
on 3/8/06 9:24 am - Coldbrook, Canada
Hi Debbie, Welcome to the bluenoser site. I am sad to say that at this present time there is no doctors in NS that performs WLS. The closest Dr. that I am awear of is Dr. Beasolei (sp?), he is in Moncton NB. You need a Dr.'s referal from your family Dr. His witing time for surgery is 2-5 years. MSI will only cover a portion of the bill. Approx 1950.00 and you have to pay for the band which is about $4-5,000.00 out of your pocket. You may want to consider other options if you do not want to wait. Ontario has some good Dr.'s and there is Mexico. There is a lady from Lr.Sackville NS who is going to India. I am going to Ontario. I called last week and I have a date for May 12th. On bit of advice is true get educated about what you are looking for. There are many different types of surgery. The band may not be the one for you, and it all depends how obese you are, and your health satus. Read and Read some more. Look on the form section and look at the different options. Then select the section where you can talk to other pts who has had the different procedures. It's a good start. If you can get your family doctor on board with you then that will give you alot more power. Good luck. Hope that helped a bit Bye for now Laurie
debbietlc
on 3/9/06 4:00 am - Glace Bay, Canada
Hi Laurie, Thanks so much for your fast reply and the info you offered me as I am quite new at this. I've done a bit of research thus far on my options and your information helped me lots. $4000-5000 is alot out of your pocket at once isn't it!! I am going to take a look at which insurance options I have; if any. I will keep reading up on your successes which will help me in making my decision hopefully easier. I wish you all the best in your future and all the success in the world on your operation. I'm sure you will be satistied. God Bless, Debbie
paramedic
on 3/8/06 9:08 am - Coldbrook, Canada
Hi Barb, First thing is that you are doing the right thing. Your body will thank you greatly for it. It is scary and exciting all at once. One thing that gave peace of mind was that there was finally a solution. I have also gone down the diet trail only to lose and then put it back on with extra. To me that was the most depressing thing I have ever gone through. When I saw the web page about the lap-band it was the first time I saw that I was not alone and there was light at the end of the tunnel. I swear this time I am going to succeed in this. One thing that really pays off is do your research. Read and read some more. This help line is also a great way to exchange ideas Barb, I know you will love the new you. I keep thinking of not having to huff and puff when I tie my shoes. I can cross my legs. Not to have pain in my knees and feet. To prevent further damage to my body. If the others could do it then we can do it We will talk again Laurie
deborahdgale
on 3/25/06 9:44 am - glace bay, Canada
hi deb its deb from nova scotia you know me from compu college i seen ya in zellers a lil while back. Anyways why go lap band go rny in new brunswick with dr beasoleai my doc its covered 100 percent click on my profile for his contact info. Just get your regualr family doc to fax a referrral is all. Im heading into the regional on thursday for a tummy tuck but if you get this before then call me and we will chat 8491664 anyways take care save yyour money and get it covered with a rny deb
paramedic
on 3/28/06 10:22 am - Coldbrook, Canada
Hi Deb To have a RNY just to save a few pennies may not the best or the wises choice. To have a more evasive surgery enorder to be covered by MSI is not an option that I would not reccomened. The type of procedure you chose is a personal choice. What I have read thus far on different procedure is that the band is much more patient freindly. One on the biggest sellers was that your intestines are not rerouted. They all have good points and bad. What may work for one may not be the best choice for someone else, and do not pick a surgery because it might be cheaper Also I have found out the Dr. B in Moncton has now w 2-5 year waiting list and their are no wls being done in N.S. at present. Laurie
CANADIAN WINNER
on 6/10/06 2:55 am - FREDERICTON, Canada
There are actually two dr's doing WLS in halifax .Ns after dr mac retired last July 05...... Two dr's took over
paramedic
on 6/15/06 3:35 pm - Coldbrook, Canada
Hi Bob, Just to give you an up date on the doctors in Nova Scotia. Saw my endocrinologist, for a thyroid problem, last week. I told him that I had the lap-band surgery. He was glad for my choice and knew what the band was. He told he that he was very frustrated because the QEII had recently scrapped the bariatric program totally. There seems to be no date as to when or if they will start it again. When I heard that news I was very sad for all of thoes people that have been waiting. To be told there will nothing will done for them. Which I think it is a crime. Just thought you would care to know. Laurie
Most Active