Heading to Mexico!

KristaB
on 4/26/12 12:25 am - St Catherines, Canada
Hi everyone!  It looks as thought I will be heading for Mexico for surgery rather than wait who knows how long to be seen here.  Getting so, so excited!  I'll be seeing Dr. Ponce De Leon most likely on May 23rd.  I'm getting super, super nervous as I have never had major surgery before, and have never been on a plane before either.  Just the thought of getting on a plane, flying to a foreign country for surgery scares the heck outta me!  To be able to start to live life finally will be worth it though :D  I was wondering about the post op diet, the liquid/protein phase to be precise.  Exactly what kind of protein should I look for?  I'd like to be able to buy it locally, but will look at ordering online as well.  Another question is, how long were you off of work for?  I am a dog groomer and am lifting dogs up to 45-50 lbs myself, and get help with anything much larger.  I would most likely be able to ask for help to do all of the lifting for a while (I work out of a home shop and can get my father to come help me if needed) would 3 weeks be enough time off?  I can also sit down to groom so it's not terribly strenuous.  

Thanks so much for your advice, I can't wait to get started!! :D

Krista
kimberleyann
on 4/26/12 11:33 pm - Kingston, NS, Canada
Firstly Congratulations! I know how scary it seems. Flying to a foreign country are you insane, LOL. Trust me I remember the feelings and I am well travelled.  Even now, having actually done it I still shake my head. But it was all worth it. Depending on the doctors post op plan it seems all post op diets vary.  I was on clear liquids for 1 week post op, that included broth, G2, green tea and I used isopure and or protein water.  Then I was on a 2 week full liquid diet, basically anything liquid that was strainable,  mixed protein drinks, strained soups including creamy, fruit juice and all other non caffine drinks. Next came the mushies,  greek yogurt, cottage cheese, soft scrambled eggs, blenderised food baby food consistancy (2 weeks).  Finally started on real food,  slowely trying each new food, cause baby your new stomach is picky.  Staying with a mostly protein based foods with well cooked veggies. Supplementing with protein drinks to keep up protein levels.  Now I say again each doctor is different. This was just an example of my post op instructions.  The reasoning behind it was to give the stoma*****ision time to fully healy with no leaks. Now you must be very good at getting at least 72ounce liquid a day so not to get dehydrated, that can include the liquid in your protein drinks. I picked up a jug from Walmart that holds that amount, I fill it in the morning and make sure I fini**** by supper.  Protein supplements, look for what you like the taste of, but avoid protein gel shots, they aren't what we need.  GNC has a good selection and you can return something if you don't like it.  Also right now Sytrax Nectar, which I use, has a sampler pack on for 14$ with free shipping  http://www.si03.com/reg_index.htm    Their stuff is good and fruity flavoured, if you find one you like, then I have a couple of Canadian websites that sell their stuff at a decent price.  As for work a good rule of thumb is 10lbs per week completed. What I mean is first week no lifting, second week 10lbs, third week 20lbs  fourth week 30lbs. Just a rough guide,  it will all depend on how you feel. I would say you will need help lifting for at least a month.  My dogs hip went out and she was 70lbs and I could not help to lift her up the stairs at all during my recovery, and I loved her. Feel free to friend me if you want and ask away any questions.

Cindy F.
on 4/27/12 11:53 am - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 02/05/13
 I think you're very brave for taking control and going for it! I was planning to do the same thing before I got the call for my consult. I too would have been nervous but absolutely would have gone that route. Keep us posted and have a great experience! I'm jealous and excited for you!
KristaB
on 4/27/12 6:13 pm - St Catherines, Canada
 Thank so much to both of you!   I'm getting so excited about this!  I have been talking with a gal from Texas who is seeing Dr. Ponce on the same day, so we're making plans to meet up while we're there.  It will be great to have someone to talk to who is going through the same thing at the same time.  I think the only thing that's making me really nervous is the trip home.  I think I've found a flight with minimal layover time,  it should be ok.  I'd love to have the links you mentioned, kimberlyann.  Also, where did you find your Isopure?  I found it on a couple of websites, but was a little shocked at how pricey it is.  

lifeisgood, I see that you are on the Island?  I am as well, about 15 minutes from Ch'town   Would you happen to know if there might be any support groups on the Island for people who have had surgery?  Do you know when you'll be having your surgey yet?  We should definitely compare notes!

I'll definitely keep you updated on how things go, I'll post a link to some pictures as well!  Can't wait!
kimberleyann
on 4/27/12 11:39 pm - Kingston, NS, Canada
I only used the isopure for the first week, while on clear liquids.  I found isopure and protein water at my locat Shoppers Drug Mart.  But check around at health food stores or GNC.  Is there still a GNC in the Mall in Charlottetown?  I can't remember.  I moved here to NS from just outside of Summerside in Freetown. 

Cindy F.
on 4/28/12 6:04 am - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 02/05/13
 If you flip over to the NB forums you'll see where there's a woman from ch'town going for VSG surgery on may 10th and another who had it February 14th (both in NB). I'm not aware of any support groups but there are starting to be enough of us to probably start getting acquainted.  I only have my appt for my initial consult so far. It looks like it typically takes about 9 mos from the first call to surgery - I'm anticipating surgery in February.
KristaB
on 4/28/12 1:58 am - St Catherines, Canada
 There is still a GNC in town, and I have to head to Shoppers this afternoon anyway to do my passport picture, so I'll have a look for the Isopure.  That's too funny that you lived in Freetown, a good friend of mine lives just up from the old Ultramar station, and I used to have one of my horses at a place on the Campbell Rd.  Small world! 
ywgchick
on 6/16/12 10:45 am
VSG on 05/08/14
Hi Krista,

I was lurking on your board (I'm from Manitoba) and I saw that you plans to get sleeved by Dr Ponce de Leon in May. Did you go??

I'm thinking of going with him in August but like you said, it seems kind of like an insane thing to do. I guess I just wanted a reassurance that it went well..

-Sylvie
KristaB
on 6/16/12 11:05 am - St Catherines, Canada
 Hi Sylvie!  I did go to visit Dr. Ponce in May, and consider it one of the best things I've ever done!  I was terrified on the trip down (never having flown before or had a major surgery before will do that to a girl!)  but once I arrived at the hospital and met Trish, my nerves settled down.  I had some nausea after surgery but very little pain.  Dr. Ponce and all of the staff are excellent to deal with, I'm sure you'll love them!  
KristaB
on 6/16/12 11:06 am - St Catherines, Canada
 Almost forgot, my surgery was on May 10th and I am down almost 40 lbs already!  
Most Active