Protein Drinks in preparation for mexico surgery in Oct

kimberleyann
on 9/11/11 11:09 pm - Kingston, NS, Canada
Okay so for my first foray into the dreaded protein drinks I have the GNC  ISO-PRO Low Carb Vanilla.

Made it with Skim milk,  Not horrible had it over ice as I really don't drink milk at all so tried to mask milky taste.  

Protein Powder is 150 Cal, 35 g protein, 1 g carb
 when added to 200ml skim 90 cal, 13g carb, and 9 g protein

Totals  240 cal  44g protein and 14g carbs

Is this how to calculate?  Are these good totals?  Should I just use water? or do I need the nutrients from the milk?

Also looking to try the Unjury Chicken/unflavoured brand as well anyone know if we can get it in Cananda?

nsblue
on 9/13/11 1:20 am, edited 9/13/11 1:21 am - Brookfield. NS, Canada
I havent had surgery yet Kimberlyann but that is how I would add the totals.
When I have done my trial liquids... I reduced the scoop of my protein powder to 1/4 so I could space out the amount of protein throughout the day, to keep my bloodsugars level. I used it with blended cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, yogert, as well as skim milk and even water and a low cal juice at times for variety.
I often wondered if after surgery if it would be hard getting a high protein content shake in in one sitting... guess i will have to wait n see..... I know i will feel confident enough to be able to calculate it because i have worked with the liquid diet and learned alot.

my protein powder that i use is  from costco...4.4 lbs for around 35 bucks. for a full scoop  it's 150 cal...35g protein, 0.3g fat, 1g carb, 0.5g sugar. It is called Kaizen whey isolate powder, and I get the vanilla icecream flavor.

I also have used the premium choc protein shakes... already mixed... they come 325ml  and have 30g protein, 1g sugar, 3g fat, 5g carbs. i usually use 1/4 of it with milk.

I have never tried the unjury chicken, I used a swanson chicken broth from costco which has 10 cal per 2/3 cup, 0.5g fat, 1g carb, 380g sodium, 1g protein.  I usually added unflavored protein powder that I bought at the superstore...North coast naturals whey protein isolate..1/4 scoop = 15 cal, 1g carb, 1g fat, 6g protein.

kimberleyann
on 9/13/11 10:13 am - Kingston, NS, Canada
Thanks.  I have found that I like it alot better when mixed with water. I will try with cold decaf coffee in morning to see if it is like a Latte. good idea with mixing broth with unflavoured protein I will get some unflavoured stuff to try it out.

Carly ~
on 9/13/11 1:26 pm
 Be careful mixing protein powder with hot beverages/broths.
The clump up unless you mix them with a little cold water first, then add tha****er/protein mix to the broth or coffee and reheat in the microwave if needed.

kimberleyann
on 9/13/11 10:12 pm - Kingston, NS, Canada
Okay mix with cold liquid first then heat. Got it.  Tried the Cold decaf coffee(made night before and put in fridge) and same low carb vanilla protein powder.  MM good, my new favorite.

Jackie00
on 9/19/11 2:29 pm
Protein breaks down under heat, so not really good to bake with it etc..

If you come to the city there is Popeye's on Robie street near Quinpool near subway, or on Main Street Dartmouth just between Ronnie's on your left and McDonalds on your right *It is on your left*

I have yet to try any from there other then the strawberry kiwi juice and it is ok, it will do until it is gone.

Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

kimberleyann
on 9/19/11 10:39 pm - Kingston, NS, Canada
I have been pretty good with the original Vanilla one, I ice the little bit of coffee before adding protein powder. I have ordered Unjury Chicken and Unjury Unflavoured and it should come in the post this week (as well as some sample packets of their chocolate). In the instructions it says to mix the powder with cold water to disolve then add ho****er not above 130degrees. So I will let every one know how that works. I am not a sweets person so hopefully this will fill my savoury craving.
Most Active