How did they get 10 year wait I get 25 years

NSgirl2011
on 7/29/11 2:31 am - Canada
I may not be a math wiz but 2000 pts / 80 surgeries per year adds up to 25 years to get through the list. This would mean if you are the last name on the list today it will be 25 years until you get to the top. Am I wrong?  After 18 months on the list and being told in february that it would be another 2- 3 years wait time (but also gave me the 2000 / 80 numbers) I borrowed money to go to toronto in May 2011 to have a lap band placed. Doing well, 40 lbs down. Is it alot of money - yes, Is my life worth at least that - yes. I have no regrets. I am 45 and can't wait until I am 55 or 70 to start living my life.

I applaud Lillian for taking her story to the press. Many people on the WLS list are also on lists for other surgeries due to their obesity. My only remark is that she will not be the first to die waiting, I am sure there are some who already have. Sad.
livelifeagain
on 7/29/11 2:56 am
Not sure where they get the 10 years either.  At the current rate of surgeries performed it would take 25 years as you say, and that's not counting the new referrals being added.  Very sad situation.  I too applaud Lillian for her bravery in going to the press.

I was referred for surgery in Halifax as well but after hearing how long the wait was, I opted to go to Montreal for surgery. Dr. Gagner performed my sleeve gastrectomy.  He is a wonderful surgeon and I would highly recommend him for anyone considering out of province.  Still, I know that is not an option for many folks for financial or other reasons.  I just wish the help was there for everyone who needs it.  My heart goes out to everyone who is struggling and discouraged because of the wait.  Try not to give up hope.
FancyRoses
on 7/31/11 3:56 am - Lower Sackville, Canada
thanks for your support
My goals to a healthy me            
Carly ~
on 8/3/11 1:59 pm
Until a few weeks ago, Capital Health's website for the Obesity Clinic said there was a 5 year waiting list.  Then changed to 10, in actuality, it's more like 25 years.

I waited over 12 years, and no word of anything -- other than to be offered an 'invitation and a chosen patient' to try some weight loss surgery program that costs over $4k out of pocket.

No thanks.

Most Active