update

CaperGal
on 7/20/11 6:23 am - Sydney Mines, Canada
Hi guys, just a quick note to let you all know that I go to Halifax for Pre-Op and than back up on Sunday for surgery on Monday. David is still in the hospital here and may be another week or two yet. So I will be staying at my moms for the first couple of days and than my daughter will be here on the weekend to help me. My son will be here to take care of my dogs for me.

So I have just a few ? to ask.

Ok so how long were in after the surgery?
Were u up and walking that day.
I have a 4 1/2 hour drive to get home so I am worried about how much pain do I expect to be in?
How long after surgery befor I am allowed to drive?
I guess that is all for now. lol thanks for your help.
Kitty1975
on 7/21/11 12:06 am - Canada
I went in for my surgery on a Thursday and was discharged on Sunday. I believe they had me up and walking the next day other than potty breaks of course. Cause i refused to use a bed pan.lol I think you are allowed to drive long as you arent on any pain meds. I didnt drive till a week after but its because i had no desire to go anywheres.

Far as the pain, you are having major surgery! So the pain meds do help but i only had those while in the hospital. They told me on discharge just to take tylenol. Course i was in pain three months after my surgery but its because when i had my gall bladder out 12yrs ago they left a stone in my bile duct that decided to act up then. So my pain had nothing to do with my surgery! So i guess i am not a great one to ask about the pain from the actual surgery.

Good luck and its the best decision i have ever made having the sleeve

what do you wanna be when you grow up little girl? i wanna be a loser and sit on the bench sir! (45 lbs lost pre op) 300lbs starting weight, currently 141lbs! Lowest has been 135lbs and hoping to get back to that.
coreena691
on 7/21/11 12:17 am, edited 7/21/11 10:26 am - Beaver Bank, Canada
Well I had a revision to the sleeve and was done at the hospital in Amherst, but will give you an idea of what it's like from open surgery...

~I had surgery on Thursday, came home Monday morning.

~I was up and walking 5 hrs after surgery and continued that night to keep walking.

~I had a 2 1/2 hr drive home.  Just a pillow to hold on the belly was enough for the bumpy ride.  It was only discomfort, not real pain while in the car.  (As for pain in the hospital, they gave me morphine for the first 2 days, and then I cut back to only at night for Sunday, I had 2 Tylenol when I left on Monday and never felt I needed anything for pain after I was home, I was just sore.  My incision is from my bra line down to my belly button.

~I waited 2 wks before I would drive.  I had my 27 staples removed on the 2nd week and was then that I felt comfortable to drive on my own.

I am so pleased to hear you're finally this close to having surgery and it's all a go with your health!  I wish you all the best for a quick & speedy recovery and cheer you for never giving up! 

Coreena

VBG June 1991 - Revision to VSG May 12, 2011

jacquelinemac
on 7/21/11 9:19 am - stellarton, Canada
wow  i had my gastric sleeve    in new brunswick i was in the hospital over nite out the next morning less than 24 hours   i had a two and a half  hour drive home  not a fun trip
sussmack2004
on 7/22/11 6:41 am
Hi
Well I had my surgery on Tueday morning of this week. I was up to the bathroom that afternoon and a short walk down the hall that evening. I was up walking the hall on Wednesday morning and no big issues. I had a little bit of gas pain but certainly nothing unmanageable. I agree with Coreena, take a pillow to hug for the car ride home. My car ride was only 40 minutes or so and I didn't have anything for pain before I left the hospital which was, by the way, last night at 5:30 supper time

I forgot to ask how long before I can drive but basically as long as you are not taking any narcotics and you could react quickly to a situation on the road, I think that you are ok. I probably won't drive myself anywhere before next week.
Anyways, so far so good
Take care and best of luck to you on your surgery for a quick and speedy recovery
Carly ~
on 7/22/11 12:00 pm
Hey Caper Gal -- 
I wasn't up and walking that day of surgery, but was in recovery for almost 6 hours.  If not for that, I'm sure I would have been up walking.  The very next morning I was up and at 'em : )

I drove 5 hours after surgery, the car ride was very tiring, but no issues.   I had a good dose of pain meds an hour before leaving the hospital, and then took another dose when it was due.

Keep a pillow tight on your tummy, I brought one for my head.  Highway driving was no issues at all.  We had to go down a few bumpy roads (city streets), and that was a bit painful, but not unbearable.

We stopped every hour or so, and walked at the surgeon's request to keep the blood flow in the legs flowing : )  It also helped with stiffness and pee breaks are much welcomed when all you're on is fluids.

Hey Susie!  Congrats on your surgery!
As for driving, I tried about 15 or 16 days out, but couldn't twist to reverse at all -- so I drove myself after 3 weeks with no issues, just a bit of stiffness.

Most Active