For those of you that are 400 lbs plus

nsblue
on 6/16/11 3:01 am, edited 6/16/11 3:04 am - Brookfield. NS, Canada

I was at the WLS info session yesterday and been thinking since then that I should have said something when it was mentioned how that WLS is not considered for those over 400 pounds and BMI over 60. I know there were some there in that category, and I can fully understand how that may have made you feel to hear that and somehow I wish I had your names or contact info somehow to speak to you and tell you not to give up hope and don't give up. It may feel like a million bucks being dangled in front of your face with no chance of grasping it...but it can be done.

In september 2009 I weighed 550 pounds ...if not more.... I went on the diabetic 1500 cal diet and just tried to move more...I didnt exercise, walk any big distances whatsoever.... On february 24th of this year, I was 430.1 pounds.  (hey I lost 120lbs!! ) I dropped to 1200 cal and started walking...starting off very small then adding time over the weeks. Today I am 365.4 lbs. Yes in 3 1/2 months I dropped 64lbs. It can be done by sticking to the plan that the WLP sets forth.

As Dr Vallis said yesterday...they are there to help you...but you also need to help yourself....it starts with you.

Don't give up on your health, do all you can to make things happen.... and it will.

nickola1
on 6/16/11 9:49 am - Riverview, Canada
 Hey, it was very nice to finally meet you yesterday!  You have done so well for yourself in losing all that weight you already have.  It certainly shows how serious you are.  

There was one male individual sitting beside me at the info clinic and he was mighty discouraged by hearing that they will only help him lose enough weight to get to 400 lbs and a BMI under 60.  He was pretty upset.  But hopefully he too will lose whatever weight he needs to to get there.  

It was a nice meeting.  Finally nice to associate some names to faces.  The "team" seems pleasant and Dr. Ellesmere is kinda cute.  

Mom had actually pulled him aside before he left for the OR and talked to him for a couple of minutes.  He said that he is training a doc right now to do the sleeve, but this doc is moving to Fredericton, NB.  Just thought you may want to know that.  

Cheers everyone, 
Chris :)

nsblue
on 6/17/11 10:39 am - Brookfield. NS, Canada

Yes it was great to meet you too Chris, and your mom.

I hope when the group gets together again that the gentleman will be amongst us and be on the losers bench with us. I wish we had had more time to talk to others there. I was surprised they didn't mention of OH or use the support forums/ groups etc... then again there may be more that actually are here but just read and not post.

Yes the team seemed very friendly. Dr. Ellsmere is a sweetheart. I had met him already back in february. Glad your mom was able to chat with him. He must be doing a fair bit of training and teaching of VSG. He did it for NL..hmm n now NB... i wonder if it is a part of a scheme to get more interest in vsg to get the stats they need to get more funding.

Been busy since i got home it seems, went to the doc yesterday to get bloodwork papers...she hadnt checked all the items before they had required. I feel like the horse who is way out ahead and everyone else is at the starting gate...since i have done 3 weeks of liquids and am on the 1200 cal already/ seen dietician etc...although i didnt have that limited glucerna spell i went right into the healthy choice given by the dieticiam from a 1500 cal one.  talk about backwards LOL 

A in NS
on 6/16/11 10:23 am
My dear, you are an inspiration!!  :))

Weight lost since surgery:

nsblue
on 6/17/11 10:40 am - Brookfield. NS, Canada
ty angie... we all are shining stars that inspire.... together we all can light up the skies ;)

Most Active