Pre-Surgery Weight loss

Mary H.
on 4/30/11 1:04 pm - Canada
I know that we are asked to lose weight before surgery. Is there a set amout or does it vary according to your current health issues and current weight? What I have read suggests  10-20lbs pre-surgery. Is this correct?

Mary

nsblue
on 4/30/11 7:49 pm, edited 5/1/11 2:47 am - Brookfield. NS, Canada

Not sure if there is a "set" amount Mary, for each person it may be different. I suppose one factor could be your BMI for weight loss surgery is not done with a BMI over 60. The first thing Dr Ellsmere had asked me was "How committed are you to this?" WLS is a big commitment. IMO one has to make a lifestyle change in order to change their eating habits etc and lose weight...and the WLS is just a tool that can help you in that journey.

If you read their handouts on the obesity network for Capital Health;http://www.cdha.nshealth.ca/default.aspx?page=SubPage¢erContent.Id.0=61088&category.Categories.1=112  You will see that much work is needed before WLS. Not only losing weight, but working on behavioural modifications, diet, exercise, food logging etc that overall makes one examine their whole life with food and you get to really understand your relationship with it. Ignoring this step I feel is where some fall back into old habits and can be detriment to their journey in weightloss or maintaining a proper weight.

I havent had my surgery yet. I met Dr Ellsmere the end of February and my BMI was 61...i needed to lose 30lbs to be in the range for WLS. I had lost well over a 100 lbs before seeing him. I now have 44 pounds off since seeing him a total of 164 lbs lost (at the least) and I know I will lose more. does it matter "how" much? IMO nope. It's the fact I am doing what I should be doing, understanding food and exactly what I need to do to be healthy...this is a lifestyle change for LIFE not just to have surgery to lose weight for me. The WLS is just going to be a tool to help me lose faster to get to my hernia surgery sooner.

Best of luck with your weight loss journey...strive to a healthier you Mary ;)

Mary H.
on 5/1/11 6:55 am - Canada
Thanks for taking the time to answer me. I have read all the handouts and I am still waiting to hear back if I will be invited to the next information session. I know I am on the primary list but that is all I know!  I have learned it is very much a waiting game, not knowing when my opportunity will arise.  I have lost 80lbs in the last 2 years and kept it off. 

The reason I asked this question is I was at my regular family Doctor last week and he said I would be asked to lose another 50lbs pre-sugery. I just wanted to see if that was true. It didn't seem correct to me. My Doctor is currently reconmending that I start jogging and go on a liquid deit.  He called my regular Nutritionist and I have an appointment to meet with her about the liquid diet.  My BMI is currently 48.

I think he is just concerned about WLS and wants me to try everything I can before taking this major step. I have been seriously considering it and researching for the last year while I wait to hear from Dr. Ellsmere.I know this is the right decision for me. 

I have been reading your posts and will continue to look for your assitance. I learn alot from hearing about other peoples journies with WLS. I can not wait to get mine started.

Mary.

nsblue
on 5/1/11 8:34 am - Brookfield. NS, Canada

Ahhhhh so there is a method to his madness.  All I know Mary is Dr Ellsmere said WLS is not done to people with a BMI over 60. I imagine they ask for some weight to be lost to test your commitment, i am not sure.

Have you started your binder? You have done the reading and studying...doing everything required may show them you are committed to this and may speak well for you and push you forward when the time comes.

Id say your journey has started mary, you are on the list and learning and doing...keep atter girl, it will come....keep focused on the goal. 

Most Active