Want to move up the waiting list faster? Here's how!

A in NS
on 4/27/11 4:25 am
As discussed in an earlier post, there are 2000 people on the waiting list and only one nurse practitioner, one dietitian (neither of whom are anywhere near full time) and one surgeon.  
It's not the team's fault that the waiting list is so long, it's lack of funding from the Dept. of Health!

We need to start putting pressure on the people who control the funding for the Obesity Clinic to hire more staff or at the very least, make these people full time. 

We are all on here because we have either had surgery or we're waiting, there is power in numbers and we CAN make a difference - and it will only take a bit of our time!!

I did some research and here are six people you should call or write to (and you can add your MLA to that list as well) and demand more funding:

Chris Power
CEO Capital Health
473-2058

Katherine Gaulton
Legal @ Capital Health
473-4193

Dr. Gale Higgins
MSI
496-7145

Nancy Hoddinott
Director of Chronic Disease
Dept. Health
424-5840

Ian Bower
Director of Primary Care
Dept. Health
424-2738
PO Box 488
1690 Hollis Street
Halifax, NS
B3J 2R8

Ann Yuill
Director of Acute & Tertiary Care
Dept. Health
424-5700
PO Box 488
1690 Hollis Street
Halifax, NS
B3J 2R8

I couldn't find addresses for the others but if anyone can get them, please post them here.

You may wonder why I put Katherine Gaulton who is in Legal at Capital Health - here's why:  The sleeve is covered by MSI which means you are entitled to it if you meet the guidelines, however, people are having to wait so long that their health is deteriorating and who knows how many lives could be lost by having to wait for so long - people could potentially be suing Capital Health for this - I'm sure this will get their attention!

I wonder if anyone knows how to do an electronic petition?  We could rack up some names pretty quick and send it to each of them - anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this??

Weight lost since surgery:

Kat_12
on 4/27/11 5:26 am - Halifax, Canada
Thanks for this post!  I left the meeting with the same intention, but you beat me to it!  Thanks for all the help you offer us!

A in NS
on 4/27/11 5:46 am
Can you think of anything I missed?

ruthann49
on 4/27/11 6:15 am - Canada
Thanks for the info Angie. Any suggestions on what to say in the letter?

coreena691
on 4/27/11 9:37 am, edited 4/27/11 11:22 pm - Beaver Bank, Canada
Great work Angie!!!

This would be wonderful if more people would step in to help. 

VBG June 1991 - Revision to VSG May 12, 2011

A in NS
on 4/27/11 1:16 pm
I'm working on an electronic petition for us all to sign and then send to everyone on the list - bear with me and hopefully I can post the URL so everyone can sign it soon  :)  Feel free to write letters & call them too - you know what they say about the squeaky wheel!    :))

nsblue
on 4/27/11 10:13 pm - Brookfield. NS, Canada
Great idea Ang, when I get home I will start on a few letters....;)

FancyRoses
on 4/28/11 10:52 pm - Lower Sackville, Canada
im in....just tell me where to sign and I will yell at the top of my lungs. if there is anything I can help with just let me know
A in NS
on 5/2/11 10:21 am

banne
on 5/18/11 10:44 am - Canada
I am number 55 ...I signed the petition tonight!
Most Active