First step done..

anglbabysteph
on 4/23/11 8:08 am - Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
 I joined the forums a few years ago after I found the information that the surgery was being performed in Nova Scotia. At that time I was not ready to fully commit to surgery being the best option for me.

I struggled over the last 2 years with different weight loss programs, the Dr has run every test imaginable on me and can't figure out why my body does not want to give up the weight. I have suffered with depression for most of my life, and my Dr is afraid that the meds are what are stalling any weight loss from happening. Unfortunatly giving up the depression medication is not an option at this point.

My 27 year old sister passed away suddenly in July of 2010, we found out that she had a heart condition that was undiagnosed and that was made worse by her obesity. This has given me more determination than anything ever will to get the weight off. 

My Dr sent my referral to The weight loss clinic in Halifax last month. During the next 3+ years that I am on the waiting list I am going to do anything and everything to work towards a healthier me. I have a 5 year old daughter, and a 4 year old niece that no longer has her mommy that I have to live for.

Currently doing aqua fit 3 times a week, and walking a mile a day. I am at 1200-1500 calories a day. I was thinking of doing the 2 week liquid diet as mentioned on the website to see if that would jump start my body in the right direction. Anyone have any other suggestions that I can do while I wait? :) 

I am so excited to be on this journey to a healthier me! 

Live, Love, Laugh
(deactivated member)
on 4/23/11 10:42 am - Canada
Hi There, Sounds like you are making steps in the right direction. 
My best advice is to step up the exercise as much as you can.
Increase that mile to a mile and a half and then 2 miles. 
I find that a vitamin e supplement helps the joint soreness and any cramps in my legs.

Surgery is only a tool to help you, it is still a battle!
A in NS
on 4/23/11 10:52 am

So sorry for your loss....

It sounds like you have a great start on losing some weight!  That is exactly what I did before I had surgery.  I had pretty much given up on ever being contacted so I took matters into my own hands.  We made small changes at first like cutting out the pop & chips & junk.  Then we started replacing butter with Becel, white bread with whole wheat & potatoes with sweet potatoes & before we knew it the weight started coming off.  I couldn't walk very far when we started either, but I did what I could and each day I improved just a little.  I managed to lose 60 (ish) lbs before I even heard from the Obesity Clinic and then another 30 before I had surgery  :)

It's not an easy thing to do, but I have a son who was 2 years old at that time & I was determined that he wasn't going to grow up without a mom - that's quite an incentive, as you know  :)  I'm sure you know about the handouts that you can download & print off from the Capital Health website :
http://www.cdha.nshealth.ca/default.aspx?page=SubPage&catego ry.Categories.1=112¢erContent.Id.0=32829

If you haven't already, you could print that off & read through.  Try some protein shakes & Greek yogurt, etc...  We're here to help however we can!   :))

Weight lost since surgery:

nsblue
on 4/27/11 9:56 pm - Brookfield. NS, Canada
Keep the attitude and determination to be healthier angelbabysteph and it wil happen. As the others have mentioned, all are excellent suggestions. Reading the WLS handouts/printing them off, recording what you eat and logging your exercise will get you started and focused on the goal at hand. Working on behavioural changes...changing old habits to good and healthy ones will go along way to your success. Reducing calories as well as what you eat will also help you in your progression in this journey. I found when I went on the 1200 cal diet...reduced my carbs, kept my protein where it should be, I really didnt crave or feel hungry as I use to...remember to include in that 1200 3 balanced meals as well as 3 snacks...so you keep your metabolism fed and burning those calories...and too most importantly walk. start off slow, and increase your time gradually...in time you will be amazed of your energy....and be so happy that YOU CAN DO IT!!! The WLP wants to see your commitment... and I know for many of us we have had so much history of weight loss and regain that we sometimes feel we are doomed. BUT with the proper information and training I feel we CAN do what we must...we have to get healthier for us!!  You can do it  angelbabysteph!!!!

Most Active