Lab Band vs. VSG

Jewlz78
on 4/21/11 4:08 am
Has anyone in Nova Scotia been successful in having MSI pay for Lab Band instead of VSG? It seems like a less invasive procedure to me and is more what I'm leaning towards. I realize it's not actually done here, but I would be willing to pay travel to have it done in Ontario or wherever.
Jewlz78
on 4/21/11 4:41 am
Actually after almost all day of reading posts and information online about both procedures, in the end it sounds like VSG might be less hassle in the long run. I'm seeing my doctor today to discuss my options. Great site here and I'm sure I'll be posting often. :)
A in NS
on 4/21/11 10:34 pm
Hi Jewlz,

This is a great place to read about the sleeve:  http://www.cdha.nshealth.ca/default.aspx?page=SubPage&catego ry.Categories.1=112¢erContent.Id.0=32829

It is the Capital Health site & all of the handouts you get from the Bariatric Clinic in Halifax.  Hope this helps  :)

Weight lost since surgery:

Jewlz78
on 4/26/11 2:17 am
This may be helpful to some body. I recieved this email back in response to my request.

In response to your enquiry, I am able to advise that the province of Nova Scotia does not cover LAGB - Laparoscopic Assisted Gastric Band Surgery. However, Gastroplasty (with sleeve gastrectomy procedure) or Gastric Bypass surgery for morbid obesity may be covered in the province on a case by case basis.

In order for consideration to be given for any payment for this service under Medicare, a request for prior approval has to be submitted to MSI by a physician on a patient's behalf outlining the medical necessity and other details for this proposed surgery.

All physicians are aware of the policy guidelines governing this matter that requires a written request to be forwarded to the Medical Consultant  at  MSI, PO Box 500, Halifax NS  B3J 2S1, or faxed to her attention at (902) 490-2275.

Services to address morbid obesity are available within the province of Nova Scotia via the "Obesity Network" in conjunction with the QEII Health Sciences Centre. Provision of bariatric surgery is only one facet of this broadbased weight loss program.

Information may be found via the "Obesity Network" webpage by going to cdha.nshealth.ca or faxing a request to (902) 425-3817.
Most Active