Walking

nsblue
on 4/1/11 7:11 am - Brookfield. NS, Canada

I am in my fourth week of walking and am up to 30 minutes at the least.  I have no particular time when i do walk..i had been goin mid morning or afternoon..and a few times after supper. A couple of times i noticed that when i walk right after eating my sugars for the next meal are higher...now higher for me is high 5's to 6. i am usually 4's and low 5's. My calorie intake is 1200 daily...so i am not eating more. in looking at my log i begin to wonder if after a meal is not the best time to exercise. When is the best time to walk....or when do you all find the best?

nannydeb
on 4/1/11 8:11 am, edited 4/1/11 8:11 am - Canada
I don't know for sure, but if by walking mid-morning or mid-afternoon are you having your snack later in the day?  I know if I have my snack too close to either lunch or dinner my sugars are elevated too.
nsblue
on 4/1/11 8:26 pm - Brookfield. NS, Canada

nannydeb, that's one thing i don't have is snacks... i think the only time i had them while on the diabetic diet was when i was pregnant with my daughter.  oh just a minute...i use to have a snack in the evening but since late feb i ended any eating after supper. I have always been on one kind of insulin... humilin n ...the long acting kind.

I find myself reading these days so much information, just trying to fit it into my head to put it in place and understand it all....and when i see a change in my sugars which are usually a normal range n i see a difference i analize everything to figure the why. I know a 6.6 isnt high but to me i feel uneasy on any 6's and want to stay on top of it. i wonder now as i type this that perhaps i didnt have enough protein to balance the carbs which of course act together when the body digests sugars, resulting in slowly in absorbing into the bloodstream. If i didnt have enough protein with the carbs at that time my sugar would absorb into my bloodstream resulting in a higher sugar...hmmmm but if while exercusing that protein is burned to be used in building those muscles that cant help but be building since being stagnent..that too would give a higher blood sugar. LOL ok tell me ta shaddup..im ramblin lol  oh hell least it's not 11 oe 20 lol why do i have to be so anal lol

nannydeb
on 4/1/11 10:03 pm - Canada
That could be part of the problem. I'm on the 1200 cal. Preparing for Sugery diet and I have three snacks per day. Morning - Silhouette yogurt & 1 cup raw veggies, Afternoon - fruit, Evening - Boost or Ensure.  I'm sure you must have a copy of that diet from the cdha web site.  When I never use to have a snack the nutritionist at the diabetic center would tell me that because I was eating less my body thought I was hungry and would feed off the fat therefore raising my sugar levels.  I don't really understand that whole process, but I do know that having the snacks has made a change for me.  And you're right 6.6 isn't high and by the sounds of things you're doing everything you can.  Good Luck! 
nsblue
on 4/1/11 11:00 pm, edited 4/1/11 11:07 pm - Brookfield. NS, Canada

hmmm only pre-surgury diet i found on the website was the one that is 7 days of full nutritional fluids.... no fruit or veggies which is done one week before surgery. could you point me to where on their website it is?

I was given a 1200 cal diet from the diabetic dietician in town, so that is what i had been following.

ohhh nannydeb, are you refering to sample 5 menu it looks like what you had mentioned. 

nannydeb
on 4/2/11 5:27 am - Canada
No, not that one.  In the original manual I printed off it was on the next page, but I can't find it on the web site.  Diana & Deane gave me a copy when I was there in March.
Maybe they took it out and only give it at the appt. with them because it does have a medical disclaimer on it that it should only be used for 3 months and ONLY in consultation with the Capital Health Weight Loss Surgery Team.  I know that while I'm waiting for surgery I have to check in with them every Friday.  I'll ask her, but in the meantime you should try the healthy snacks and see how that works out.

nsblue
on 4/2/11 6:03 am - Brookfield. NS, Canada

That's ok nannydeb,

what i am doing now as of this afternoon, is somewhat following the stage 5 plan, which is a 1200 cal diet...and since i am on 1200 cal, i will divide up some of what i used at meals to be a part of my snacks....so i am not eating any more just sorted to get my snacks in.

i am sure once down to the WLP i too will get the meal plan etc etc...all in good time...but at least i can do what i can now before then....thank sooooo sooo much......

Most Active