Two weeks post-op tomorrow

MooseheadsII
on 3/21/11 6:49 am - Halifax, Canada
and I'm hungry. Not emotional or psychological hungry - I'm physically hungry. My gut is growling at me constantly for food. Still following the post-op full fluid diet but honestly feel like I could easily advance to soft foods. I know I can't but I really want to. Appriciate any tips anyone can offer.
Shirley
imaybenuts
on 3/21/11 6:54 am - Canada
i have no tips......... u just have to wait it out.. when u start your next step it will go away!! its a crappy wait but it will be worth it

30 lbs lost pre op

A in NS
on 3/21/11 9:08 am
I agree, you kind of have to just wait it out, but it might help you to read this.....
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4231957/For-those-of-y ou-still-suffering-from-hunger-after-surgery/

Weight lost since surgery:

nsblue
on 3/21/11 11:15 pm - Brookfield. NS, Canada

MooseheadsII although i have had a few short times when on full fluids, I have not gone through my surgery yet to know exactly how you feel. With my gut (intestines) fully outside my abdominal wall..the sounds are more pronounced than normal.... i'm sure when i get to my post op stage..you will hear me for miles lol. Now that I am drinking 8-12 cups of water a day...the sounds in my intestines is unreal... the water going through gurgles n roars. Everyone around me thinks i'm hungry but i have grown to ignore the sounds.

I've been reading the book mindful eating by Brian Wansink. I'm not finished yet but so far it amazes me the studies he has done...and it surely makes me question how our minds play a big big part in hunger and being filled.

MooseheadsII I hope that time will pass quickly for you until the time you will be on soft foods...keep busy so the growling and your hunger doesn't drive you nuts....just think when you reach the soft food stage.. all of this will be worth it

Ang that post is an interesting one, it sure does explain how the new sleeve works.

MooseheadsII
on 3/22/11 12:58 am - Halifax, Canada
I upgraded from just shakes to smoothies last night. Couldn't handle those initially post-op - they felt like cement in my stomach. Anyhow, I tolerated them much better last night and didn't feel so empty. So they will help get me through the next 2 weeks.
Thanks for your replies.
Shirley
(deactivated member)
on 3/26/11 9:09 am - Canada

My advice would be to stick to the outline you have been given to a T! You do not want to create any unnecessary pain or discomfort for yourself. Take things slow and follow the program and take full advantage of this time. One day u will be wishing you could go back to liq's and lose weight again!!

You also do not want to create a leak in your tummy. This would mean resorting to a feeding tube for six weeks!!

Take it one step at a time and you will do great.

Cheers,

Debbie T.
on 3/26/11 11:45 pm - Canada
Try adding more protein powder to your smoothie as the protein will help keep the hunger at bay. I used ot add it to my boost both before surgery and after.
Debbie

Weight lost since surgery
Most Active