living in ns with an rny

(deactivated member)
on 3/14/11 7:22 pm
hi, I'm in a province that does the roux en y gastric bypass and I would like to move back to NS in the future. I'm worried that since I know the standard there is the VSG that I might have trouble getting care if I need it or difficulty finding a GP that isn't all weird about me having a different procedure than what's the norm there. Is RNY completely unheard of and misunderstood there? Will I be screwed if I get sick? Or am I worrying about it too much?
(deactivated member)
on 3/14/11 10:05 pm - Canada
I don't think RNY is misunderstood or unheard of here. 

coreena691
on 3/15/11 2:01 am, edited 3/16/11 12:25 am - Beaver Bank, Canada
RNY GB was the surgery of choice for many years (before & after the VBG stomach stapling) in NS.  VSG is fairly new.

I am sure there are many physicians that are familiar with this procedure.  I have having a revision in May, and feel confident I will receive great follow up care and knowledge from our health care in HRM.

We run a support group in Sackville that has members who went with the RNY if you would like to join us sometime. 

If you can find a list of doctors taking on new patients in the area you wish to move to, just call around and ask. 

Hope all works out! 
VBG June 1991 - Revision to VSG May 12, 2011

(deactivated member)
on 3/15/11 5:19 am
Awesome, thanks guys. I know that not every doctor is fully knowledgeable or accepting of weight loss surgery in general, everywhere not just NS. I knew I was probably worrying unnecessarily especially since I'd be coming back to Halifax and there's bound to be people with RNY's there and good doctors. It's good to know I'd have nothing to worry about since I really miss living in Nova Scotia.

Good luck with your RNY coreena. Maybe I'll see you in the support group eventually!
Most Active