Weight Management Program

natalia76
on 3/8/11 11:23 pm
Hello,

I am new to this forum and am looking for advice (my friend pointed me here and said you were all great). I was referred back to Dr. Ellsmere's office last year and have yet to be called in for the group information. I emailed Diane back in the fall and she told me I'd have to wait 2 or more years before I would be considered for surgery. She mentioned a new weight loss program her team was in the works of developping. After the new year I read an article Dr. Vallis did with Dalhousie supporting this program. I know he is a well respected psychologist and everyone I've met has said positive things about him.

At this point I'm desperate to try anything as my weight keeps climbing this year, and I'm now at my highest of 280 lbs. Has anyone else heard about this Partners for Healthier Weight program in Halifax? Their website is a little vague..

Natalia
livelifeagain
on 3/9/11 12:31 pm
Hi Natalia,

Welcome!

I understand that the Partners for healthier Weight program is very new (Halifax Shopping centre) and is based upon the Ottawa Hospital Weight Management Clinic.  There are some posts about the Ottawa  program  on this link. 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/3882892/Ottawa-Hospital -Weight-Management-Clinic/

Your doctor has to provide a referral I believe.  You pay for the program. The cost is $2886.00.  You attend weekly 3 hour sessions for 26 weeks.  The session includes informal group time and a presentation on various topics such as exercise, meal planning, stress management, relapse, etc.  You also have an individual assessment by a nurse.  After the 26 weeks I believe you have 6 follow up sessions.  They have nurses, dietitians, physiotherapists, psychologists and physicians on their team.

The program involves a liquid meal replacement, Optifast, for the first 12 weeks.  During this time you are to comsume only this meal replacement and water.  This is followed by a 6 week transition to real food.   The fee you pay includes the meal replacements.  I don't know anything about the success rate of the program or how it compares to surgery.  I would think the surgery would have a higher success rate.   They have information sessions that you can attend to find out about the program.  Not sure when the next one is but I think once your doctor sends in the referral they contact you.   I haven't attended the info session or participated in the program so can't provide any more details.  Hope this information helps.  

Good luck in your weight loss journey.  I too am waiting for a call for the surgery.  Two years seems like such a long time to wait.
natalia76
on 3/9/11 11:21 pm
Thank you so much for your help ! I did call the number posted on their website and was invited to an information session but never attended due to my work schedule.

Based on the reviews from Ottawa it looks like they are mixed. The girl I talked to on the phone said they focus more on your relationship with food as opposed to Ottawa which focuses on genetics.

There was a lady on CBC who was interviewed as a participant in the program.. I'm anxiously awaiting to hear her results from the program. If she's successful I'm more than willing to put up the money to lose the weight.

I've also heard the surgery program is pretty intense here in Halifax with Diane and her team.

Best of luck to you too and hopefully we'll hear something soon!
coreena691
on 3/10/11 6:36 am - Beaver Bank, Canada
Most Active